UFO Casebook headgraphic


Chaos Consumed Jackson County after Charles Hickson's Alleged Alien Abduction
This is a Oct. 11, 1998 file photograph of Charles Hickson Sr., of Pascagoula, Miss., standing on the west bank of the Pascagoula River close to the site where he claims he and another man were abducted by aliens in 1973. Hickson died Friday in Ocean Springs, officials with O'Bryant-O'Keefe Funeral Home in Gautier said Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011. He was 80. Hickson spent nearly 40 years reliving the reported encounter. He also co-wrote a book,
Published: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 5:43 AM

By Cherie Ward - The Mississippi Press

PASCAGOULA, Mississippi -- The news of Charles Hickson and Calvin Parker allegedly being abducted by aliens in 1973 prompted reporters from around the world to flock to Pascagoula.

Hickson, who died on Friday in Ocean Springs, was a foreman at Walker Shipyard and Parker was a welder. The now-closed shipyard was located on the Pascagoula River in the 1970s.

The two men were known to go fishing after their shift and that's what they were doing when, according to their accounts, they had an encounter with aliens on Oct. 11, 1973.

Shipyard officials hired Pascagoula attorney Joe Colingo to handle the flood of media persistently seeking interviews with both men about their experiences.

"There was just so much confusion in the beginning," Colingo said Tuesday of the international media attention. "We don't know where they came from, or how they all found out, but they were here, in the parking lots just camped out."

Hickson and Parker made global headlines with their alleged encounter.

Colingo said reporters constantly asked him if the alien abduction story was true.

"I would just tell them that they passed a polygraph test and they believe it," Colingo said.

Charles Hickson's story of his claimed UFO abduction was told in his book, "UFO Contact at Pascagoula."

The alleged abduction also prompted other alien sightings around Jackson County. The Mississippi Press reported numerous other sightings from local people, but none were ever proven.

The Ocean Springs Board of Aldermen -- at the request of Alderman William F. Dale -- even considered passing a resolution forbidding aliens from landing spacecrafts within the city limits. Dale wanted police officers to enforce the proposed policy.

The measure tied 2-2 and Mayor Tom Stennis broke the deadlock by casting a no vote and saying, "Let's welcome them," according to media reports.

"That's pretty much the way it was in the days that followed," said Glenn Ryder, a former shift captain at the Jackson County Sheriff's Department. Ryder took the initial report from Hickson and Parker.

"I mainly remember Charlie (Hickson) saying, 'I have something to tell you and you're going to laugh.'" Ryder said Tuesday. "I told him that I would not laugh and to tell me. He told me. I laughed."

Regardless, Ryder said the claim was investigated.

"We went down to where they claimed the abduction happened," Ryder said. "We thought there would be burnt marks from a spacecraft engine or something. We never found anything."

Ryder said he took Hickson and Parker to the sheriff's department and put them in a room with a hidden tape recorder.

"I thought I'd record their conversation when they were alone and they would say something like, 'We fooled that dumb cop good,'" Ryder said. "But, they didn't. They stuck to their story and they were scared."

Ryder said three other people reported seeing a flash of green light on Oct. 11, 1973, at 8 p.m., the time Hickson and Parker claimed they were released by the aliens.

Ryder said Larry Booth was operating the Standard Service Station on the corner of U.S. 90 and Market Street and reported seeing a green flash of light. "Puddin'" Broadus, a Pascagoula detective, and Mike Cataldo, a retired Navy chief petty officer, also reported seeing a flash.

"But, that was the only proof we ever had," Ryder said. "All I know is Charlie (Hickson) and Calvin (Parker) believed it. Calvin was all tore up about it."

According to previous reports in the Mississippi Press, then-Sheriff Fred Diamond contacted the U.S. Air Force and NASA to investigate. Diamond is now deceased.

"I will go as high as the President because people down here are entitled to know what's going on," Diamond said in a previous report. "People here are beginning to panic."

Both agencies declined to investigate and the abduction claim was never proven.

Pascagoula Information

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/pascagoulafollowup.html

source & references:


Fair Use Notice: This web site contains some copyrighted material whose use has not been authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.)

If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Fair Use notwithstanding, we will immediately comply with any copyright owner who wants their material removed or modified. All articles and images contained on the UFO Casebook which are not created by the UFO Casebook are attributed to the original owner/creator.

The opinions and viewpoints expressed on the UFO Casebook articles are not necessarily those of the UFO Casebook owner, webmaster, or staff members.
Each article is attributed to its originator, which is listed at the bottom of each entry, when available.

Archived UFO Articles and News Items

UFO Casebook Home Page