Published: 12:45 PM 6/25/2013
By Emily Koch
A BRISTOL man who claimed an alien aircraft landed on his house features in a raft of UFO documents released to the public by the National Archives.
The 25 files, which contain 4,400 pages, include a report about the man, who said an alien craft landed on top of his house.
Unexplained lights spotted over Bristol were also featured.
The files are the 10th and final tranche of UFO files released by the National Archives.
They cover the work carried out during the final two years of the Ministry of Defence's UFO desk, from late 2007 until November 2009.
They include details of Government policy, official correspondence with senior ministers and the handling of the largest ever number of UFO sighting reports received since 1978 – the year the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind was released.
The files contain accounts of alleged abductions and contact with aliens, as well as details of UFO sightings near UK landmarks.
Included in the files is a MoD report about a Bristol man who claimed "a big alien craft landed on the top of [his] house".
The craft was flying over Bristol "very close to the witnesses' house and then on the house", the report says.
In an answer-phone message recorded on June 11, 2008, the man said "the craft stayed on his house for a while and then flew off".
Also included in the files is a MoD report detailing "fleets of orange lights [which] were moving across the sky" in Bristol.
The lights, seen by members of the public with the naked eye in April 2008, were spotted "moving across the sky over Bristol for the last three weeks or so". The witness said that she and her friend "were very frightened and wants us to see if we can help", the report says.
Other highlights in the files include reports of UFOs spotted near UK landmarks; one hovering opposite the Houses of Parliament and one near Stonehenge.
The files also include a report received via the UFO hotline by someone who had been "living with an alien" in Carlisle for some time, and a report by a man from Cardiff who claimed a UFO abducted his dog, car and tent while he was camping with friends in 2007.
The files also show in 2009 Defence Minister Bob Ainsworth was told that in more than 50 years, "no UFO sighting reported to [MoD] has ever revealed anything to suggest an extraterrestrial presence or military threat to the UK".
This led to their decision to close the UFO Desk and with it the UFO hotline and dedicated email address.