What Happened to Felix Moncla? - The Kincross Incident

Scorpion F89
On November 23, 1953, an F-89C Scorpion jet was scrambled from Kinross Field. The jet was searching for an uncorrelated target picked up on radar by an Air Defense Command Ground Intercept radar controller at Truax AFB.

The Scorpion was flown by 1st Lieutenant Felix Moncla, Jr., with 2nd Lieutenant R. Wilson in the rear seat as radar operator.

The unknown object began to change course as the Scorpion began to close on it, at speeds exceeding 500 mph.

Wilson was having problems with tracking the unknown, so ground control continued to direct Moncla to the UFO.

Over half an hour later, Moncla moved even closer to the object, which was now streaking over Lake Superior.

Finally the Scorpion jet closed the gap entirely. The blips on the radar screen merged into one. Ground Control believed Moncla has flown over or under the object, and expected the two blips to separate. This was not to be.

The one blip was now gone; no radar return at all could be seen. Ground Control attempted unsuccessfully to contact the Scorpion by radio. With the last radar return marked, Ground Control sent an emergency message to Search and Rescue.

The position marked was seventy miles off of Keweenaw Point in the upper part of Michigan. The altitude was 8,000 feet, about 160 miles northwest of Soo Locks.

Search and Rescue made an all out, all night attempt to find the missing Scorpion, but to no avail.

Felix Moncla An official statement would soon be issued from Norton Air Force Flying Safety Division. They concluded that; "the pilot probably suffered from vertigo and crashed into the lake."

This statement was nothing more than a guess, and based on pure theory.

There were reports, albeit unsubstantiated, that Moncla suffered from vertigo. This question was never resolved. The Air Force made several attempts to explain away the UFO theory.

First, they claimed that the object was a Canadian DC-3.

Secondly, they stated that the unknown object was a RCAF jet.

Canadian officials denied both of these claims. There was no Canadian aircraft in the lake's airspace at the time of the sighting of the UFO.

In a last ditch effort to explain away the UFO, the Air Force claimed that the Scorpion had exploded at high altitude.

This claim also made no sense, because if the Scorpion had exploded there would have been some of the plane's debris found.

Search teams had found no oil slick, metal fragments, absolutely nothing to indicate a crash had occurred. The case was investigated by NICAP, which found that official records had deleted any mention of Moncla's chase.

His plane was listed as being in an "accident." Unofficially, radar operators and others present in the radar room believed that the loss of the Scorpion, Moncla, and Wilson was directly related to the unknown object.

The identity of the UFO has never been disclosed officially to this day, and the loss of the Scorpion is still unexplained.

B J Booth

source: www.nicap.org

Return to: UFO Case files

UFO Casebook Home