Magazine top graphic

UFO Casebook Magazine Issue 439, Issue date, 01-10-11

(Comments section now available at bottom of page)

1968 - The Tote Road, Maine Sightings
UFO Depiction
Published: 1:22 AM 1/6/2011

Waldo, Maine - 1968

This is a recount, to the best of my recollection, of events that occurred from October to December, 1968. I swear that the following is true and actually happened.

All of these sightings occurred at a place locally called “The Tote Road.” This was a wood road near Toad’s End on the east side of the Passagassawaukeag (Passy) River, and it ended on a high point of land.

This provided a view of a long field through which high-tension power lines ran. The lines are in a generally east-west direction.

The Tote Road was a place where young people hung out at night, out-of-the way, and a pleasant location to sit and listen to the radio and watch the stars.

I was one of those young people and spent many pleasant hours up on the Tote Road, often with dates and sometimes, just with my buddies.

Sometime in mid-October, we had our first unusual experience.

While sitting in my 1967 Ford, we noticed a lighted object coming along approximately 100 feet above the power line. The object came from the east and when a few hundred yards away from us, it halted, still above the power lines.

We heard no sound and were fascinated by the sight.

While we watched, we saw the object spin about. It was of a basic, elliptical shape. It was lit with red and green lights and appeared to have windows.

As it spun as if on an axis, we noted that small, lighted objects dropped from the object and drifted downward, toward the power lines. We could not discern the nature of the small objects, but they left a kind of light trail, or lighted thread as they descended.

I don’t recall seeing the small objects return to the larger, hovering object. After what might have been an hour, the large object sped off toward the west.

We were sort of shaken by the thing and left soon after the object left. But a couple nights later, we determined to return.

This became a regular habit, and we went almost every night. About half the time, we were rewarded by seeing similar objects acting in much the same way as during our initial sighting.

In fact, seeing these things became routine and we became desensitized to it. In time, we began to bring others with us to see the objects.

On some nights, we would see multiple objects. These each and every one, followed the power lines. Never, did one deviate from this pattern.

Then one night, after watching a (by this time) standard-sized object, we were amazed when another appeared above it.

The new object was giant and dwarfed the other. This was so big that it was plain to see portals, or windows, as it slowly rotated.

This rotating deserves some explaining. It didn’t appear as if the entire object rotated, just the windows. These flashed red and blue light, blinking as they went around the diameter of the object.

The craft was neither saucer-shaped or cigar-shaped, but somewhere in between, something like a elongated saucer.

We strained to see inside the windows but were unable to discern anything in any detail. We did see objects inside, but could not tell what they were.

The large object dropped multiple, small objects which descended in threadlike light trails. This scared us a bit, but we remained, watching. Eventually, the large object, the small object and the multiple small objects sped off and we left soon afterward.

This continued more or less the same through October, November, and into early December.

Then one night, Steve Woodrow and I each had dates. We went to the Tote Road to park with our girlfriends. We had some beer, which was on the back seat with Steve and his girl.

Soon, before it was even dark, an object came down the power line and this one was another very large one.

It hovered, performing the same actions as the previous one. We decided to leave the car and walk down toward the object.

Before leaving, we made sure to put our beer on the floor in back and I took off my coat (it had turned warm that night… some kind of front, apparently, had come in) and covered it, so anyone walking up to the car would not see it.

We walked down toward the object and the girls became frightened and refused to go any further. This was, as I later learned, probably good advice. So we stood there, watching this large object hover over the power lines.

UFO Depiction It was huge and the girls were speechless. This was the closest any of us had ever been to one of these.

Eventually, the girls convinced us to return to the car and they and Steve left. But I decided to walk just a little closer. I was able to make out movement inside the craft, although again, the forms were vague and indistinct.

I suddenly felt a chill and became very frightened. So I turned and ran back to the car where the others waited.

Back at the car, we watched the object take off. We left the place and took the girls home. This was on a Saturday night. The next morning, I got up and it had turned cold again.

So I went out to the car to get my coat. But it was gone. I thought that perhaps Steve or his girl had inadvertently kicked it under the seat with their feet, so I stooped down and reached under.

And I felt the arm of the coat and pulled it out. But that’s all there was to it, just the arm. This was a sheepskin-lined, corduroy coat, something like “The Marlboro Man” wore.

And someone had pulled the arm off it… think it was the left arm. Little threads stuck out at different angles, which made me think that whoever did this was very strong.

They had to have simply snapped the arm off. So I called Steve and told him off. We had an argument over the phone and I refused to believe that he wasn’t responsible for destroying my coat.

I took the sleeve and kept it in the car, to shove it in Steve’s face when I saw him. He continued to deny any knowledge of it.

After that, nobody wanted to go back up to the Tote Road. So I went by myself.

It was a good place to think, when the objects weren’t around. I went for three nights straight after the coat incident. That third night that I went there, it had snowed, a little less than an inch.

I pulled in and sat there, listening to the radio (I remember hearing the Beatles) and keeping warm with the heater running. No objects appeared.

I hadn’t seen one since the night with the girls. I went home.

I returned the following evening and pulling in, saw that nobody else had been there, the only tire tracks were my own, from the night before.

And there in the snow on one of my tire tracks was a dark form. I studied it briefly and tried to figure out how it got there. There were no footprints or tire tracks.

It was as if the thing had been dropped from the sky.

I got out of my car and walked to the thing and saw that it was what was left of my coat. I picked it up and got back in my car. I was practically paralyzed with fear.

I backed around and left as fast as I could. I have not been back to that place since, although I live only a few miles away.

I took my coat, minus the sleeve, home and showed it to my grandparents, whom I lived with. I had told them about the flying objects.

I had mentioned them before, but not in any detail. Grandpa was nonchalant about it. I don’t think he believed me.

Grandma was a righteous woman and had continually warned me that I should stop going out to that place at night… she thought the objects had to do with the devil. I discounted her thoughts.

Since my coat was ruined, Grandpa took it and went downstairs, to the drive-in basement. There, he kept his beagle hound, “Mickey.” Grandpa took my coat and placed it where Mickey slept, as an extra blanket for him.

Mickey backed away from it and growled, low and deep. His hair bristled, I remember.

Mickey was always gentle and had never before growled at anyone. Grandpa took the coat and burned it.

That is the essence of what happened. I might add that during the time we were visiting the Tote Road, Steve set up a 35mm camera on a tripod and took pictures.

He left the lens open because it was night and all he got were some time-lapse photos, with no definition.

Also, Steve contacted a man who was a UFO expert… he visited with us and took our statements. I don’t remember his name.

I think he was connected with the newly-formed Unity College. Steve may, however. It has been a long time, though.

Shortly after all this, Steve was drafted into the United States Marines and was soon deployed overseas. Steve now lives in either Washington State or Oregon… I think Washington.

Steve visited his family here in Maine several years ago. He says he does not remember ever going to the Tote Road or seeing any UFOs back in 1968 or any other time.

I live in Waldo, only about three miles in a direct line from the Tote Road and very near the same high-tension power lines where the UFOs traveled. My grandparents are both dead, long ago.

That is all I have to report about this. This is my true statement and I testify upon my oath of honor that the above-described events are true.

Forty-two years have passed and the memory of this incident haunts me.

Perhaps some day I shall undergo hypnotic regression and record the session. Maybe that would disclose further details.

Tom S., January 5, 2011

permanent link:

source & references:

Submitted to UFO Casebook

B-2-Like Craft Seen Hovering in Maryland
UFO Depiction
Published: 10:24 AM 12/30/2010

Maryland - 12-26-10

I was driving home from work on the Sunday morning after Christmas 12/26/2010 at 2:25 am and it was snowing lightly.

I was traveling on Matta-Woman Beantown Road going from 301 south to Rt. 5. I was approximately half way down the road, where the park and ride is located, when I saw a huge aircraft about 200 ft in length emerge out of the clouds about 100 ft over the tree line.

The first thing I noticed when I saw the craft was that it had an unusual amount of lights on the front of it to be an airplane. Being that I am in the aerospace industry I see large aircraft on a daily basis, and none of them have that many lights.

Nevertheless, I was just thinking it was a large plane flying low. I continued driving slowly and watching it and shortly after it came out of the clouds, it banked a hard right maybe 60 degrees or more, and at this point I could see the entire shape of the craft.

It had lights covering the entire perimeter of the craft and what seemed like what would be the cockpit/fuselage. It had lights surrounding that part too.

In the center of the craft where the fuselage would be, there was a red blinking light on top of the craft and one on the bottom. This is what is called an anti-collision light required by all aircraft flying in US airspace.

I got excited at this point because I thought it was a B-2 bomber and I have never seen one before in person. So I was not sure of the light pattern. It had the exact same shape a B-2 except the tail of the craft cut straight across from wing tip to wing tip.

The B-2 has several triangle shapes on the tail of the aircraft. Once the craft came out of its 60 degree bank and leveled off, it just sat in one spot and did not move.

At this point I pulled over because I was amazed that it stopped and hovered. I did not think this was a UFO, but was just some sort of aircraft that didn’t exist. So I pulled over and got out of the car expecting to hear a very loud engine running because the craft was hovering and it takes a lot of power to hover an aircraft. I got out and I heard nothing but silence.

That’s when my heart started to beat really fast because I had an idea of what I was seeing. I went to grab my phone to take a picture and the lights just went out. I could still see the craft in the sky being that it was no more than 75 ft from me and it was snowing, so it was easy to see.

The craft was dark, almost black, and I could still easily see it hovering. I watched it for about 5 minutes with its lights off just sitting there hovering.

After the 5 minutes, it just started to slowly move out of sight and that was the last I saw of it. I did not hear any jet aircraft in the area which I thought was weird because I was just outside of Andrews Air Force base and you can't get near that place without setting off some sort of alarm.

I know of 3 aircraft that can hover and two of those are stationed in the area I work and live, those being the Osprey and Joint Strike Fighter. Both of these make a lot of noise. This craft made absolutely no noise and just sat there and hovered.

I haven’t the slightest idea of what I saw that night. I'm not sure it was man made or not of this earth. I’m leaning towards man made because of the anti-collision lights located on it.

But I know of no aircraft that is 200 ft. in length and can hover without making any noise. I will truly never forget this experience.

permanent link:

source & references:

Submitted through

Florida Witness Reveals Gulf of Mexico Encounter from 1975
UFO Depiction
Published: 10:32 AM 12/23/2010

Florida - 1975

This sighting occurred back around the mid 1970's when me and two of my buddies were out at Pensacola Beach at a sand dune called The Cross, because there is a permanent structure of a cross on top of the sand dune.

We were standing next to the water on the Gulf of Mexico facing the water when one of my buddies noticed the object and he stated "Dudes, check it out, a UFO," so we turned towards it.

There was no wind that night and the Gulf was as quite as a lake. The object was traveling parallel to the road maybe 100 to 150 feet above the road. The object appeared to be a sphere of solid white light.

So we started jumping up and down waving and shouting at it and lo and behold, the object changed directions and came directly towards us and in no time the object was almost on top of us.

The object made no sound whatsoever, and at the last second my friend that spotted the craft shouted "Run!," so we took off running for the direction of the sand dunes towards the road. I had never run so fast in my life and somehow escaped the object.

We gathered back together in the sand dunes and then my friend who originally spotted it saw it again as it resumed its parallel course on the road heading eastward.

There is a large water tank it came close to and would guess the object to be about the size of the tank part of it, and if I had to guess would say the diameter of it was about 35 to 40 feet.

Then the object did something strange as we watched it go past the water tank. That part of the beach was lit up pretty well with business in that area. The object went almost pitch black, and all we could make out was a sphere silhouette of the object.

So I guess they have the ability to turn off the lights on the craft so as not to be seen at night time. Then the object disappeared in the distance and was gone.

Ok - credibility, the friend that spotted it had like a four point zero grade average at a local college. Me and my friend both went through radar school in the Navy about the same time, and the other friend was going through a trade school.

permanent link:

source & references:

Submitted through

The Abductee's Symbol - The Ongoing Mystery
Alien Symbol
Published: 10:21 AM 1/4/2011

written by Chris Holly

For the past few years I have been searching to find a symbol that a lifelong abductee has been drawing since the age of three.

The abductee first remembers strange events occurring in life at the same time this mysterious symbol entered into this person's life which was about age three.

That is when the constant scribbling of this mysterious symbol started.

As a child the abductee would be shown this symbol along the walls at night . It was not once or twice it was a nightly event that went on for a few years.

The abductee's parents had other children and considered this simply a child's nightmare and brushed it off.

It was also the time the abductee could recall strange events including being taken while playing, and being placed back down from a height by way of a white ray of light .

This abductee 's life was never like that of other people.

The symbol is a one motion continuous line that a three year old should have a problem conquering, however, that was not the case with this abductee.

Along with the normal scribbling art of a typical three year old, this abductee also constantly drew this symbol.

This continued on throughout childhood with every drawing the abductee made.

When the parents questioned the young child to what it meant she would reply, "That is me!"

The entire symbol ordeal was becoming very strange for this family and the child.

The symbol continued to appear on schoolwork, art work, and all things that could be used to doodle or draw. At about age 8 the school insisted that this behavior of adding this symbol to all the little abductee's work must stop.

The abductee told me it was a great effort that needed a huge amount of concentration and focus to not form this symbol .

It had become such a part of the abductee's personality that not making the symbol took enormous work to stop.

Today now age 60, this abductee has spent a life time of carrying this symbol through life.

The habit or ritual of automatically forming it was controlled, but to this day it can be found everywhere on things like bank books, calendars, note pads, anything that is laying around that is not of a business or important nature.

It is odd that a child would develop such a complex one motion symbol at such a young age.

It is odd that the compulsion to constantly repeat it continued for a life time when the abductee showed no signs of any other compulsive character traits.

I have been asking my readers if they have ever seen or have any knowledge of this symbol for the last two years.

I have had many good people try to help however most suggestions were not close at all to this one line continuous motion symbol.

Alien Symbol Two people have given me material that may bring some answers to this mystery. I am hopeful that by reaching out one last time to my readers and those who have an interest and hopefully some insight or knowledge concerning this symbol, we may be able to find some answers to this mystery.

I have asked the abductee to once again draw this symbol and show me how it is made with one quick stroke of the pen. I will tell you that this symbol jumps from her pens tip with such speed that it is impossible to follow the method.

It is broken down to show you the direction used to make it in one quick move.

If you have ever seen this exact symbol before or have any information of what it means please contact me.

For now this symbol will remain as mysterious as this abductees entire life has been. Be careful out there and always pay attention to your surroundings.

Copyright © 2010

Chris Holly's Paranormal World


permanent link:

source & references:

Submitted to UFO Casebook

Multi-Lit, Triangle/Boomerang Object Seen by Motorists in North Carolina
UFO Depiction
Published: 10:42 AM 12/30/2010

North Carolina - 12-29-10

My girlfriend and I were driving down highway 15-501 heading towards home when we first saw lights hovering over the road.

My first thought was that it looked like a new radio or phone tower with red, blue, and yellow lights, but I knew that wasn't possible because we travel down that road often.

We first saw the lights about half a mile away and as we got closer we realized that the lights were hovering just over the tree line attached to a dark boomerang or triangle shape. All of the lights seemed to be flashing at first, but as we got closer all the lights were shining down towards the road.

The object was not moving at all, it was just hovering over the road.

When we passed under it we still could not figure out what it was, I wasn't driving so I turned around to look back and see it from the other side and I couldn't see it anymore. We turned around about 100 yards past the object to try and get a picture of it but it was gone, no lights in the trees, in the sky, or anywhere else that I could find.

The object was not a helicopter because it made no sound, and not a plane because it was too low and did not move. Whatever the thing was it was about as wide as the highway and I could not tell how long it was because it was dark behind the lights.

This is the first time I’ve ever seen anything that I couldn't explain around here although I did see unexplained lights in the sky in Iraq in 2003.

This area is only about 45 miles from Ft. Bragg/Pope Air Force base, so I guess it could possibly be some kind of military project that I’ve never heard of.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but this thing has me confused. I don't know if anyone else saw the object or made any kind of report. I really just want to know if this fits with UFO sightings or if anyone can tell me what this may have been because it was only about 3 miles from my house.

permanent link:

source & references:

Submitted through

Archived Case of the Week

The Kelly Cahill Encounter
Depiction of UFO

In August 1993, 27-year-old Kelly Cahill, her husband and three children were driving home after a visit to a friend's house. Their routine journey would soon become a harrowing trip into an unknown world of strange beings that occupied space but were void of color as we know it.

The Dandenong foothills, near Belgrave, Victoria, Australia would have its location forever linked to the sighting of one of the most unusual humanoid creatures in Ufology archives.

Records from the town of Leicester, England in the year of 1928 give an account of another being without color. The Cahill family would witness either more of the same, or very similar beings in the wee morning hours of August 8.

After midnight the Cahills were on their journey home when they first noticed the lights of a rounded craft with windows around it. It silently hovered above the road. Different colored lights were clearly visible on the bottom of the object.

The UFO was so close to the ground that Kelly thought she could see people through the window openings.

As she began screaming to her husband what she was seeing, the craft zoomed off to their left, disappearing as quickly as it had made itself known.

Continuing their drive home with a renewed interest in the sky, they suddenly came upon a light... a light so bright they were practically blinded. Shading her eyes from the intense light with her hands over her eyes,

Kelly begged of her husband, "What are you going to do?" Her husband now frightened to death by the glowing presence before them, replied, "I am going to keep on driving."

Within what seemed only a second or two, Kelly was now very relaxed, suddenly calmed by the disappearance of the intense, glowing light that had turned night into day for a brief few moments.

The first words out of Kelly's mouth were, "What happened, did I blackout?"

Her husband said nothing, as he had no answer to give his wife. He cautiously drove his family home.

Upon their safe arrival Kelly could smell a foul odor, like vomit, and she suddenly felt as though something was missing from their drive home.

Something was missing... an hour or so of time had vanished from her and her family's life.

Cahill at scene of abduction That night as Kelly undressed for bed, she noticed a strange triangular mark on her navel, a mark she had never seen before. It must have been created early this every night. But how? And why?

And most importantly, by whom? Kelly suffered from general malaise for the next two weeks, and was taken to the hospital on two occasions, one for severe stomach pain, and another for a uterine infection.

Kelly would soon begin to remember details of that fearful night, and without any outside aid such as regressive hypnosis, or counseling.

She recalled the object they had seen in a slightly different place than she first remembered. It was hovering in a gully, and the UFO was big.

She estimated it at 150 feet in diameter. She could also recall that when the object was first spotted, her husband had stopped the car, and both her and her husband had gotten out of the vehicle, and walked in the direction of the massive craft, without fear.

It was if they were being subconsciously drawn to the enigmatic, otherworldly creation.

To their surprise, they noticed another car stopped on the side of the road. As they walked down toward the craft, they saw a creature unlike either of them had ever seen before.

It was black, not a black color but black as if all matter was removed where its presence was. Kelly would later describe it as "not having a soul."

Cahill - Recent Photo Kelly's words for the alien were "void of color," yet its shape was clearly discernible. The black alien entity was taller than an average man, about 7 feet tall, according to Kelly, and its eyes were large like a fly's, glowing red.

After being mesmerized by the sight of the being, she saw more of them. "Heaps of them" is how Kelly described them as she stared into the open field.

The aliens were out there in the field, beneath the immense flying craft. The beings seemed to congregate in small groups, and one group glided toward Kelly and her husband, covering a hundred yards in a mere few seconds.

Another group was approaching the other car which sat motionless near the hovering craft.

Kelly had a sense that the creatures were evil. She clung to her husband, fighting the feeling of blacking out. Her great fear and dread would cause her to scream at the alien-looking entities to leave them alone.

She remembered going unconscious, and then... she was back in their car.

As strange as this encounter seems, it was not without corroboration. The occupants in the other car would come forward and tell almost an exact story, a story of abduction, mind control, and embarrassing procedures.

Kelly recalled through dreams the black alien stooping over her helpless, nude body like he was kissing her navel.

From all indications of the descriptions of the aliens, they were intruding into our dimension, taking space in our universe, yet without solid form, though shapes, heads, eyes, and arms could be distinguished.

Could these strange and eerie beings simply slip from a parallel existence into ours? Or were they from a not too distant future?

The account of Kelly Cahill has been examined and reexamined by many researchers. Many theories have been put forward, but nothing new has been uncovered.

Nothing has been proven, or disproved. Kelly Cahill was considered a reliable, honest person by those who knew her at the time of this strange sighting. Her case is considered legitimate by many UFO investigators.


edited by B J Booth

UFO Casebook Home Page