UFO Casebook Magazine


UFO Casebook Forum

toolbar powered by Conduit

UFO Magazine Issue # 354, Issue date, 04-13-09

AF Roswell Study Contributor Admits, "It Was ET!"
UFO Depiction
written by Anthony Bragalia

Friday, April 10, 2009

The Lt. Colonel who was a major contributor to the Air Force's official 1997 study that concluded that the Roswell ET crash of 1947 is a "myth"- now states that the Air Force's Roswell report is itself a lie. The Colonel goes further to state that what he really believes to be true is that aliens actually did crash to Earth decades ago!

He adds that he was "used" and that the the author of the Air Force report "was on a mission" with no interest in discovering what really happened at Roswell. In the Air Force's publication Roswell Report: Case Closed (authored by Intelligence Officer Captain James McAndrew in 1997) the Roswell crash is debunked. The report serves as the US Air Force's official and "final word" on the matter. Captain McAndrew explains in the Air Force report that "crash test dummies" that dropped from airplanes were mistaken by witnesses for the rumored Roswell "aliens."

McAndrew contends that local ranchers -when confronted with these humanoid figures laying on the desert floor-confused them in some way to be creatures from another world. An earlier Air Force Roswell report had concluded that the "craft" that was witnessed was actually a fallen top-secret "Mogul" spy balloon project. Lt. Col. Raymond Madson, now 79, recently related to this author that he was the Project Officer that led the Air Force's "crash test dummy" program, known as "Project High Dive" from 1956-1960 at Holloman Air Force Base. He designed and managed tests that used anthropomorphic dummies in aerial "dummy drop" tests.

These tests were part of an Air Force project to identify ways to safely parachute pilots from aircraft at very high altitudes. He tested and analyzed problems that pilots might encounter with the ejection mechanisms for bailing out of new generation aircraft. Lt. Col. Madson is extensively quoted and referred to by Captain McAndrew throughout the Air Force's Roswell debunking report, issued in book form. His affidavit is found on page 180. Madson even provided many of the famous crash test dummy pictures used in the book.

He says that he made it clear to McAndrew that although the "dummies could be mistaken for something they are not" - they could never be mistaken for small alien beings! Madson was visited by Captain McAndrew for in-person interviews over a period of two days. Madson told McAndrew that the dummies did not appear alien- and that anyone would know that these are "essentially large dolls."

Madson also expressed to McAndrew that the period of time in which these dummy drop tests occured could not possibly coincide with the time of the Roswell event- the events were too many years apart from one another. McAndrew listened -but did not comment- on Madson's opinion. Madson also said to McAndrew that "we were testing with these 6' dummies to try to protect grown men. The aliens reported at Roswell were said to be child-sized."

In fact, McAndrew's Roswell report did not include Madson's real opinion on the matter at all! It appears as though McAndrew wanted to get desired comments out of Madson to be later used to support the crash dummy program explanation for the alien bodies.

McAndrew took Madson's words and placed them in the Air Force debunking report in such a way that it did not convey the truth about the way Madson actually felt about the nature of the Roswell event!

UFO Depiction Madson says that the statement that he signed for McAndrew (which appears in the report) was accurate, but that -in the context of the overall Air Force report- it is misleading. Madson feels that he was "used for purposes" and that his intent was misrepresented- he did not "buy into" the idea of his "Air Force dummies as aliens." Madson adds that the dummies had tags on them with instructions for getting a $25 reward for their return.

He says that this is another reason why the Air Force explanation makes no sense whatsoever. Clearly McAndrew wanted to get all of the historical details from Madson about the dummy drop program that he could (details that only Madson could offer) and then make all of this information seem to support the Air Force debunking efforts.

Madson got an "uneasy" feeling about the whole inquiry. He now wonders why the Air Force even felt compelled in the first place to come up with an explanation for "supposed bodies" resulting from a crash "that supposedly never happened." He adds, "The whole need to even do that is unusual, now that I look back on it."

We discussed that the Air Force had (in 1994) already issued a "final word" debunking report on Roswell, explaining that the crash resulted from a top-secret Mogul balloon project. Why then the need in 1997-three years later- to come up with yet another "final word" report detailing the explanation, this time for the bodies?

If it was a balloon, then that should have been the end of the inquiry. Paraphrasing Shakespeare, "Methinks doth protest too much." McAndrew objected so much to the idea of the ET nature of the crash that he lost credibility and he has revealed a hidden motive.

Madson then becomes more emphatic: "I didn't trust McAndrew. In fact, I don't even like him. I don't like the way that he operates." Madson goes on to say that he even gave McAndrew some of the famous photos of the crash test dummies that are used throughout the Air Force debunking report.

Madson states that McAndrew never returned any of the original materials that he had offered to McAndrew for reproduction. Madson said that after the Air Force's Roswell report was issued and he read it -alarmed- he called McAndrew repeatedly, but McAndrew never returned Madson's calls. So incensed was Madson that he debated whether to call McAndrew's Air Force superior.

Very tellingly Madson now says that, "McAndrew was sent on a mission." Today he had no doubt that McAndrew "was assigned to carry out a directive" that was intended to "produce a specific result." I asked him, "Was McAndrew on a mission to uncover the truth about Roswell?"

Madson simply repeated, "No, he was on a mission." Asked if he felt that McAndrew himself believed his own report's conclusions, Madson paused and again intoned, "McAndrew was sent on a mission."

But Madson goes far beyond saying that the Air Force used his "crash dummy program" as a feeble explanation and "cover story" to debunk the stories of Roswell alien beings.

Amazingly, Madson believes that an extraterrestrial crash actually had happened - and that the bodies were stored for a period of time at Wright Patterson! He bases this on the fact that he himself had served at Wright Patterson in the early 1950's -before going to Holloman AFB to conduct the crash dummy tests.

He personally had heard -just a few years after the Roswell event- directly from "others who would have been positioned to know" that there was a "very secure facility" at the base that served as the storage place for the alien bodies that were recovered from a crash sometime before he began employment at Wright.

Although he was intrigued by what he had heard about all of this, he told me, "you just didn't ask a whole lot of questions like that in those days." Madson adds, "I believe that the talk was serious, but that the matter was kept highly secret at the time."

Madson also feels that it is likely that there is a reverse-engineering program of the recovered technology in place that he says, "is only accessible by those with a Need to Know."

What makes this even more interesting is that Col. Madson met Mrs. Madson -his future wife- while employed at Wright in the early 1950's. Mrs. Madson was employed at the time as a secretary for Wright's base medical laboratory. Astonishingly, she had also been hearing the very same "scuttlebutt" as heard by her soon-to-be husband.

She had been told by some of those that she had worked with about child-sized beings "from another world" who had crashed to Earth. Sometime prior to her employment they had been retrieved, brought back to the base and then studied secretly.

Madson says, "we both knew not to say anything much to each other about it at the time. But today, my wife can't stop thinking about it- and neither can I."

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2009b/itwaset.html

source & references:


Unknown Lights Spotted over Tucson, Arizona
UFO Depiction
About 3 to 4 weeks ago in the middle of March 2009, (it may have been the 18 or 19, like I read in other people's letters, but I cannot be sure since it was a few weeks ago. But I do remember for sure that the next day I saw on TV's UFO hunters (or some other UFO show perhaps), the episode with the lights from Phoenix).

So beside the date being a little fuzzy, I do remember what me and my mother saw that night, and I will always remember that night and what we saw.

It was approximately 8:30 to 9:00 PM at night when my mom and I were traveling west on Tangerine Road, north of Tucson, Arizona. As we were traveling west, my mom pointed at something on the horizon that she said had been glowing on and off for the last 5 minutes or so. My mom did not say anything prior to this because we just happened to be talking about a UFO show I had seen recently, and not wanting to jump to conclusions or have me think she's imagining things, she said nothing for 5 minutes or so before she finally brought it to my attention.

When I looked up I saw an orangish/reddish (mostly orange though) orb or light just over the Tucson mountains, a little to the left of directly in front of us. The light only lasted for maybe about 2 to 3 seconds before it seemed to explode, or something. It almost looked as if a plane had blown up in the sky, but way up in the sky and with no flames, just more lights expanding from the original orb ( or at least that is the impression I got, even though it was just above the horizon it seemed like it was a good distance away, about 15 to 30 miles away, but maybe 20 times brighter than any star in the sky, and way high up).

The light or the "exploded lights" looked kind of like what I would imagine a dud firework looking like. And that's what I figured it was at first, or at least I did until we both saw the lights again.

This time we saw the lights, it was maybe 5 minutes later after the first light we saw. However, this time there were three lights in the sky, and all hovering motionless. They showed up from right to left, each about 1 second after another. They each stayed lit for maybe 5 to 10 seconds (just enough time for me to tell my mom and get her to look).

Then the lights went out in the same order they appeared. We were now heading south on Sandario, and saw them out of the right hand window of the car, they were just over Kitt peak observatory, in the Three Points area. This seemed to be the same location my mom saw the lights, and the same location where I saw the "explosion" or whatever it was.

Even though both times I saw the lights (and all 5 times my mom saw the lights), they were in different formations and moving differently. They were for sure the same lights each time, in the same place, every time. The curious thing to me was that besides the one time when I saw the "explosion" (a term which I use very lightly because it almost was as if one light just broke up into 3 or 4 lights and not really exploded, but split up or broke apart from one another) the lights showed no sign that gravity affected them at all.

The lights just hovered, and when they split up the first time I saw them, there were no flames or anything, but they did kind of curve downward for a split second before they disappeared, but did not curve down enough that it looked as if gravity was the reason for them "falling" if you will, it was more like they were just moving that way in a controlled manner.

So I didn't think anything about it (besides that it was something unlike anything I had ever seen before, I figured there was a reasonable explanation, IE: flares or some other kind of military exercise), that is, until I saw a show the very next day about the Phoenix lights, and when I saw footage of those lights I knew for sure, that without a doubt that footage was showing the EXACT same thing me and my mom saw that night.

It/they moved the same, they appeared and disappeared the same way, they were just identical. I believe that on the show they even show three lights come in and go out in the exact same fashion I witnessed. Once I saw on TV that they said it couldn't be flares and came here on the Internet and saw that other people had seen something in Tucson right on or close to (can't remember the exact day, just remember it was like 3 to 4 weeks ago) the same day we saw the lights, and in the same direction of town I felt compelled to write in and tell somebody about what me and my mother witnessed that day in the sky.

Something that I also wanted to mention was that there seemed to be a lot of planes in the sky that night, and that's really, really, rare for where I live, since it's about 20 miles west of Tucson in the middle of the desert, so I'm thinking there were military aircraft in the area checking these lights or UFOs out as well.

And everyone who I have talked with out here says "Yes," in fact, many people out here have seen similar lights and unidentified craft at night (and day) and that they (UFOs) are ALWAYS chased down, or escorted by F-16s or some other aircraft within seconds of spotting the UFOs (this I cannot verify for certain obviously, but was relayed to me from a number of my neighbors who have lived here longer than I after I told them what I had seen).

It was dark out so I cannot say for sure that the planes were military in nature, but there is a airport near here (meaning I know a plane when I see one), and I believe they are closed at nights, but for some reason that night they seemed open or at least it seemed like they were open because of the excess of runway lights and just lights on in general (we drove right by the airport in the time between my first and second time seeing the lights... it's on my way home).

I was a believer in UFOs long before I ever saw these lights, and I can't say for sure what they were but, I can say for sure that they were the same lights that were seen in Phoenix back in the late 1990's, without a doubt! 100% POSITIVE!

I also know that it's interesting that I was talking about UFOs to my mom and then we see this! Let me tell you though, that we have talked about UFOs many times in my house or family and have NEVER, EVER, seen anything like this. And I also know that people will argue that if given the suggestion that UFOs exist from TV shows or Internet or places otherwise, that it might make one feel like they saw things they didn't... or misconstrue what they saw.

However, I have a theory that in fact, the more people watch these shows, the more likely they are to see a UFO. I believe this is for the simple fact that they will spend more time with their eyes pointed at the sky, than the ground.

For example, this was a "super bright light" that my mom saw twice and I didn't notice it at all! (and I was in the front passenger seat!), that is until she said something. So if we had never started to talk about UFOs in the first place, she probably never would have looked up from the street in front of her (which I do not suggest for the driver of any car in motion), to see these lights and in turn tell me to look.

So I figure we rarely look up unless given a reason to do so, and all these new shows on UFOs and such are getting people to look up. And this may be why it may seem that people who believe in UFOs are seeing them more than the average person, for the simple fact that people who look to the sky to see something are 100 times more likely to see a UFO than someone who doesn't believe, and has never taken the time to look.

Thanks for your Casebook and compilation of info, it's a great web site. Needless to say, it was a very interesting night for me and my mom, and someday I hope we will have a definitive answer to what we and everyone else is seeing in the Arizona sky.

I'm just a normal 26-year-old guy with no reason to lie or make stories up, (especially if it entails me typing up a long letter like this), and my mom is a 50-year- old medical doctor, neither of us were drinking or anything like that on that day. This really happened.

Thanks for your time,


L. Hays

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2009b/tucsonlights.html

source & references:

Submitted to UFO Casebook

The Road to Area 51
Built in Burbank, the OXCART needed cumbersome transport to Area 51, with road signs removed, road banks leveled, and trees removed.
April 5, 2009

After decades of denying the facility's existence, five former insiders speak out


Los Angeles Times Magazine Area 51. It's the most famous military institution in the world that doesn't officially exist. If it did, it would be found about 100 miles outside Las Vegas in Nevada's high desert, tucked between an Air Force base and an abandoned nuclear testing ground. Then again, maybe not— the U.S. government refuses to say.

You can't drive anywhere close to it, and until recently, the airspace overhead was restricted—all the way to outer space. Any mention of Area 51 gets redacted from official documents, even those that have been declassified for decades.

It has become the holy grail for conspiracy theorists, with UFOlogists positing that the Pentagon reverse engineers flying saucers and keeps extraterrestrial beings stored in freezers. Urban legend has it that Area 51 is connected by underground tunnels and trains to other secret facilities around the country.

In 2001, Katie Couric told Today Show audiences that 7 percent of Americans doubt the moon landing happened—that it was staged in the Nevada desert. Millions of X-Files fans believe the truth may be "out there," but more likely it's concealed inside Area 51's Strangelove-esque hangars—buildings that, though confirmed by Google Earth, the government refuses to acknowledge.

The problem is the myths of Area 51 are hard to dispute if no one can speak on the record about what actually happened there. Well, now, for the first time, someone is ready to talk—in fact, five men are, and their stories rival the most outrageous of rumors. Colonel Hugh "Slip" Slater, 87, was commander of the Area 51 base in the 1960s.

Edward Lovick, 90, featured in "What Plane?" in LA's March issue, spent three decades radar testing some of the world's most famous aircraft (including the U-2, the A-12 OXCART and the F-117). Kenneth Collins, 80, a CIA experimental test pilot, was given the silver star.

Thornton "T.D." Barnes, 72, was an Area 51 special-projects engineer. And Harry Martin, 77, was one of the men in charge of the base's half-million-gallon monthly supply of spy-plane fuels. Here are a few of their best stories—for the record:

On May 24, 1963, Collins flew out of Area 51's restricted airspace in a top-secret spy plane code-named OXCART, built by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. He was flying over Utah when the aircraft pitched, flipped and headed toward a crash. He ejected into a field of weeds.

Almost 46 years later, in late fall of 2008, sitting in a coffee shop in the San Fernando Valley, Collins remembers that day with the kind of clarity the threat of a national security breach evokes: "Three guys came driving toward me in a pickup. I saw they had the aircraft canopy in the back. They offered to take me to my plane."

Until that moment, no civilian without a top-secret security clearance had ever laid eyes on the airplane Collins was flying. "I told them not to go near the aircraft. I said it had a nuclear weapon on-board."

The story fit right into the Cold War backdrop of the day, as many atomic tests took place in Nevada. Spooked, the men drove Collins to the local highway patrol. The CIA disguised the accident as involving a generic Air Force plane, the F-105, which is how the event is still listed in official records.

Area 51 Sign As for the guys who picked him up, they were tracked down and told to sign national security nondisclosures. As part of Collins' own debriefing, the CIA asked the decorated pilot to take truth serum. "They wanted to see if there was anything I'd for-gotten about the events leading up to the crash." The Sodium Pento-thal experience went without a hitch—except for the reaction of his wife, Jane.

"Late Sunday, three CIA agents brought me home. One drove my car; the other two carried me inside and laid me down on the couch. I was loopy from the drugs. They handed Jane the car keys and left without saying a word." The only conclusion she could draw was that her husband had gone out and gotten drunk. "Boy, was she mad," says Collins with a chuckle.

At the time of Collins' accident, CIA pilots had been flying spy planes in and out of Area 51 for eight years, with the express mission of providing the intelligence to prevent nuclear war. Aerial reconnaissance was a major part of the CIA's preemptive efforts, while the rest of America built bomb shelters and hoped for the best.

"It wasn't always called Area 51," says Lovick, the physicist who developed stealth technology. His boss, legendary aircraft designer Clarence L. "Kelly" Johnson, called the place Paradise Ranch to entice men to leave their families and "rough it" out in the Nevada desert in the name of science and the fight against the evil empire.

"Test pilot Tony LeVier found the place by flying over it," says Lovick. "It was a lake bed called Groom Lake, selected for testing because it was flat and far from anything. It was kept secret because the CIA tested U-2s there."

When Frances Gary Powers was shot down over Sverdlovsk, Russia, in 1960, the U-2 program lost its cover. But the CIA already had Lovick and some 200 scientists, engineers and pilots working at Area 51 on the A-12 OXCART, which would outfox Soviet radar using height, stealth and speed.

Col. Slater was in the outfit of six pilots who flew OXCART missions during the Vietnam War. Over a Cuban meat and cheese sandwich at the Bahama Breeze restaurant off the Las Vegas Strip, he says, "I was recruited for the Area after working with the CIA's classified Black Cat Squadron, which flew U-2 missions over denied territory in Mainland China. After that, I was told, 'You should come out to Nevada and work on something interesting we're doing out there.' "

Even though Slater considers himself a fighter pilot at heart—he flew 84 missions in World War II—the opportunity to work at Area 51 was impossible to pass up. "When I learned about this Mach-3 aircraft called OXCART, it was completely intriguing to me—this idea of flying three times the speed of sound! No one knew a thing about the program. I asked my wife, Barbara, if she wanted to move to Las Vegas, and she said yes.

And I said, 'You won't see me but on the weekends,' and she said, 'That's fine!' " At this recollection, Slater laughs heartily. Barbara, dining with us, laughs as well. The two, married for 63 years, are rarely apart today. "We couldn't have told you any of this a year ago," Slater says. "Now we can't tell it to you fast enough." That is because in 2007, the CIA began declassifying the 50-year-old OXCART program. Today, there's a scramble for eyewitnesses to fill in the information gaps.

Only a few of the original players are left. Two more of them join me and the Slaters for lunch: Barnes, formerly an Area 51 special-projects engineer, with his wife, Doris; and Martin, one of those overseeing the OXCART's specially mixed jet fuel (regular fuel explodes at extreme height, temperature and speed), with his wife, Mary. Because the men were sworn to secrecy for so many decades, their wives still get a kick out of hearing the secret tales.

Barnes was married at 17 (Doris was 16). To support his wife, he became an electronics wizard, buying broken television sets, fixing them up and reselling them for five times the original price. He went from living in bitter poverty on a Texas Panhandle ranch with no electricity to buying his new bride a dream home before he was old enough to vote.

As a soldier in the Korean War, Barnes demonstrated an uncanny aptitude for radar and Nike missile systems, which made him a prime target for recruitment by the CIA—which indeed happened when he was 22. By 30, he was handling nuclear secrets.

"The agency located each guy at the top of a certain field and put us together for the programs at Area 51," says Barnes. As a security precaution, he couldn't reveal his birth name—he went by the moniker Thunder. Coworkers traveled in separate cars, helicopters and airplanes. Barnes and his group kept to themselves, even in the mess hall. "Our special-projects group was the most classified team since the Manhattan Project," he says.

Harry Martin's specialty was fuel. Handpicked by the CIA from the Air Force, he underwent rigorous psychological and physical tests to see if he was up for the job. When he passed, the CIA moved his family to Nevada. Because OXCART had to refuel frequently, the CIA kept supplies at secret facilities around the globe.

Martin often traveled to these bases for quality-control checks. He tells of preparing for a top-secret mission from Area 51 to Thule, Greenland. "My wife took one look at me in these arctic boots and this big hooded coat, and she knew not to ask where I was going."

So, what of those urban legends—the UFOs studied in secret, the underground tunnels connecting clandestine facilities? For decades, the men at Area 51 thought they'd take their secrets to the grave. At the height of the Cold War, they cultivated anonymity while pursuing some of the country's most covert projects.

Conspiracy theories were left to popular imagination. But in talking with Collins, Lovick, Slater, Barnes and Martin, it is clear that much of the folklore was spun from threads of fact.

As for the myths of reverse engineering of flying saucers, Barnes offers some insight: "We did reverse engineer a lot of foreign technology, including the Soviet MiG fighter jet out at the Area"—even though the MiG wasn't shaped like a flying saucer. As for the underground-tunnel talk, that, too, was born of truth.

Barnes worked on a nuclear-rocket program called Project NERVA, inside underground chambers at Jackass Flats, in Area 51's backyard. "Three test-cell facilities were connected by railroad, but everything else was underground," he says.

And the quintessential Area 51 conspiracy—that the Pentagon keeps captured alien spacecraft there, which they fly around in restricted airspace? Turns out that one's pretty easy to debunk. The shape of OXCART was unprece-dented, with its wide, disk-like fuselage designed to carry vast quantities of fuel.

Commercial pilots cruising over Nevada at dusk would look up and see the bottom of OXCART whiz by at 2,000-plus mph. The aircraft's tita-nium body, moving as fast as a bullet, would reflect the sun's rays in a way that could make anyone think, UFO. In all, 2,850 OXCART test flights were flown out of Area 51 while Slater was in charge. "That's a lot of UFO sightings!" Slater adds. Commercial pilots would report them to the FAA, and "when they'd land in California, they'd be met by FBI agents who'd make them sign nondisclosure forms."

But not everyone kept quiet, hence the birth of Area 51's UFO lore. The sightings incited uproar in Nevada and the surrounding areas and forced the Air Force to open Project BLUE BOOK to log each claim.

Since only a few Air Force officials were cleared for OXCART (even though it was a joint CIA/USAF project), many UFO sightings raised internal military alarms. Some generals believed the Russians might be sending stealth craft over American skies to incite paranoia and create widespread panic of alien invasion.

Today, BLUE BOOK findings are housed in 37 cubic feet of case files at the National Archives—74,000 pages of reports. A keyword search brings up no mention of the top-secret OXCART or Area 51.

Project BLUE BOOK was shut down in 1969—more than a year after OXCART was retired. But what continues at America's most clandestine military facility could take another 40 years to disclose.

ANNIE JACOBSEN is an investigative reporter who sat for more than 500 interviews after she broke the story on terrorists probing commercial airliners.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2009b/roadtoarea51.html

source & references:


A Sighting Re-Visited - Long Island in the 60’s a UFO Central!
UFO Depiction
During the 60's Long Island was a wealth of paranormal events and UFO sightings as well as reported abductions and lost time events.

One of these sightings took place in Bayport, a small coastal town on the Atlantic Ocean coast side of Long Island by a young man named Jack Stampfel and his friend Steve.

I wrote an article about this sighting called- The 60's A Hot Bed Of UFO Activity for Long Island New York.

In the article I told the story of two teenage boys who encountered a huge UFO over Long Island while returning their boat to its dock on the Long Island coast.

Jack and Steve were approaching the inlet where they docked coming home from Fire Island on Jack's speedboat across the Great South Bay to their hometown of Bayport. The night was black as pitch with a sky full of bright stars.

As they made their way across the bay they first noticed a odd light overhead like a yellow light bulb that stood still for a few minutes, then took off straight up until it mingled with the stars and was gone.

“ We were looking up when we saw 4 of these things to the left and 4 to the right. We stopped the boat. One from the left formation changed color from yellow to green and began dipping slightly from its level position.

With incredible speed this thing crossed the sky and joined the 4 objects on the right. What was even more amazing is that it then came to a complete stop and just was standing there still with the other 4 on the right.

Watching this made Steve and I really nervous as we afraid we might be abducted and wanted to get out of there as fast as we could. “

The boys sped towards Bayport Creek as fast as that boat could travel thankful that the water was calm and windless that night.

“We entered the creek proceeding down it a lot faster than usual. I finally throttled down and came to a stop. No one was around. We were hoping there would have been someone.

We also saw that the formation of 8 yellow lights were gone which made us feet a bit safer.”

At harbor speed the boys slowly cruised about half way down the creek near to Jack's docking space on mirror smooth water along that dark country creek. That is when it happened! Jack described what they saw:

“Out from behind the trees that lined the creek came the most perfect saucer anyone could ever dream they would see. It was directly in front of us.

UFO Depiction At the end of the creek the trees dipped in the middle, like an old tree lined road. As this happened, I first veered left and crashed into the reed bank. But seconds later something changed in my mind and I reversed my boat, straightened out and proceeded slowly towards this thing hovering over the water's edge. I don't know if Steve agreed with this decision but he stayed in the boat anyway.

It was large and I realized much further away than I thought. It had a yellowy green glow around it, which stood out against the black of a dark night. It was perfectly clear. I've seen it many times since in my minds eye.

Most peculiar was a flat topped (truncated) black pyramid shaped door or scanner part of the craft that slowly moved around the top portion. I have estimated it took about 45 seconds or less for this part to make one complete circuit. We kept moving towards it till it slowly banked and tilted to the left revealing maybe 6 glowing lights underneath towards the rim. It then slipped from view behind the trees and was gone.

As my memory serves we were a bit stunned and after the UFO floated behind the trees and out of sight we just turned the boat around and motored to my dock. We tied up, got out, and went home. I can't remember talking much about it to Steve, but we must have shared something.

He went to his home about a mile away and I went into my house to find I was home alone.

I picked up the phone and called the police to report the sighting, but first I asked whether there had been any carnivals with Ferris wheels passing through Middle Road (the heart of town) in Bayport that night? The answer... was no, so I gave my report about the huge UFO on the creek to some desk clerk and went to sleep.”

The next morning Jack woke up about 10:00 a.m. A police officer knocked on the door. His cruiser #310 was in the driveway.

He asked if Jack was the one who phoned in the report. The police officer and Jack sat at Jack's dining room table while the policeman wrote down Jacks report about the sighting.

Jack gave the details of his sighting to the policeman who told Jack that the police had over 1000 calls from others who also witnessed something.

Jack asked the police officer if the craft had been over his small town of Bayport and was stunned when the policeman told him that it actually seemed to be about 10 miles away over the center of Long Island.

The policeman told Jack that they thought it was estimated at somewhere like a mile in diameter. It was proceeding eastward down the center of the island. He told Jack they thought the UFO’s course took it over Brookhaven National Laboratory along the electric power lines, down the center of Long Island till it went out to sea past Montauk Point. Thousands more were suspected to have seen it that did not or could not call in to leave a report.

When Jack shared that story with me I was fascinated as I too saw a UFO the year before that in 1965 about 7 miles from the location he did... I too noticed a revolving top on the craft and I too reported the incident as was told many others had called in the sighting from my hometown.

I knew that Jack was haunted all these years by his clear. outstanding sighting of this huge UFO. I also knew Jack was going to try to contact others that also may have seen that large craft that night.

UFO Depiction I recently heard from Jack. He sent me the original drawings he made for the police that day in 1966 of the UFO he saw that night. For me it was a extreme event to view Jack/s drawings of what he and his friend Steve had seen that night as the UFO Jack drew was nearly identical to the one I saw in October of 1965 the year before and only a few miles away from where Jack and Steve had their sighting.

The ships were very similar especially the top moving section. The main difference for me was a band of windows that ran across the center of the ship I encountered. Otherwise they were alike. Obviously we were all viewing the same type of craft along the same area of Long island during the same time period.

Jack not only sent me the drawings that brought my own sighting clearly back to me - but found another witness to the sighting he had on the same night.

Jack joined classmates, the site used to find those you went to high school with, and was contacted by a woman who remembered jack as one who reported the UFO sighting over her town the summer of 1966. The woman told jack that not only did she see the same UFO that night but so did her entire family and neighbors.

Pat told Jack that she recalled the exact date of this event as being August 14th 1965 and that the craft had been almost directly over her house that night. She told Jack that no one had the guts to phone in a report of the sighting, which I found to be very strange reaction to a huge UFO directly over your house, but one that seemed to be common at the time.

Jack did call in his sighting and Jack's report ended up on the front page of the SUFFOLK COUNTY NEWS ON SEPT 1st 1966.

Jack was amazed to find that the father of this woman had saved that article for the last 44 or so years, which I have included with this article.

It is clear that Long Island had a surge of UFO sightings in 1965. The 60's were a time of active paranormal activity for Long Island including the big east coast black out that was filled with many reports of UFO sightings and abductions in the New York area.

During this time Long island had a working Air Force base, Brookhaven National Lab. Plum Island as well as being a landmass that sticks out to the open Atlantic Ocean. The 60's was also a time when Long Island was made up of a great deal of unpopulated land along the coast line and miles of undeveloped land around the above listed labs and bases making it a understandable area to anticipate UFO sightings.

I think visiting UFOs would be seen all over this country and most of the entire world if we were not as brainwashed to stay numb and dumb and disinterested in our surroundings.

Few of us spend time sitting under the open sky watching what goes on above our heads. Not only have we become a willing numb society to this type of event we have been trained to ignore or laugh at those who do notice strange events and taught to ridicule those who have the courage to report them.

We would be far more advanced and far more knowledgeable about our own reality if we all had the brave and honest approach of Jack Stampfel.

I am pleased to have Jack's artwork of what he saw that night and the actual article of his reported sighting. I wish we all had Jacks courage and instincts in handling these things. Jack documented his sighting and reported it.

With the tools available today to us all be sure to take a photo of things you see that seem strange to you so you have proof to back your words. If you do see something or encounter something, say something.

It is the only way we will ever break free of our Dark Ages approach to the unknown and become aware of what truly is going on around, above and below us!

Pay attention to your surroundings, keep looking up and always be careful out there.

artwork by Jack Stampfel 1966

Copyright © 2008- 2009 Chris Holly all Rights Reserved

Chris Holly’s Paranormal World- http://endlessjrny.blogspot.com/



permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2009b/.html

source & references:

Submitted to UFO Casebook

Humans Predicted to Make Contact with ET in Two Decades
UFO Depiction
April 03, 2009

SETI Chief Astronomer: "Humans Predicted to Make Contact with an Extraterrestrial Civilization Within Two Decades"--A Galaxy Classic

"That's 500 billion planets out there, and bear in mind there are 100 billion other galaxies. To think this [the Earth] is the only place where anything interesting is happening, you have got to be really audacious to take that point of view."

Seth Shostak, SETI senior astronomer

Some leading astronomers are quite confident that mankind will make contact with intelligent alien life within two decades. The search for extraterrestrial life will leap forward next year when NASA launches the Kepler space telescope. The instrument will be constantly scanning the same 100,000 stars over its four-year mission with the exciting objective of discovering Earth-sized planets in the habitable zones around suns.

This will allow SETI to home in on where the odds of life are possibly greatest. Currently, SETI’s mission to find life on other planets is like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack. But now, whenever Kepler identifies planets most likely to sustain life, the team at SETI will be able to focus in on those solar systems using deep-space listening equipment.

This will be a huge upgrade from their present work of randomly scanning the outer reaches of space for some kind of sign or signal. Also, upping the ante, is the recent discovery of Earth-like planets outside our solar system, which has led astrophysicists to conclude that Earth-like planets are likely relatively common in our galaxy.

"Everything has caused us to become more optimistic," said American astrophysicist Dr Frank Drake in a recent BBC documentary. "We really believe that in the next 20 years or so, we are going to learn a great deal more about life beyond Earth and very likely we will have detected that life and perhaps even intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy."

However, some astrophysicists have warned that we humans may be blinded by our familiarity with carbon and Earthlike conditions. In other words, what we’re looking for may not even lie in our version of a “sweet spot”. After all, even here on Earth, one species “sweet spot” is another’s species worst nightmare. In any case, it is not beyond the realm of feasibility that our first encounter with extraterrestrial life will not be a solely carbon-based occasion.

Alternative biochemists speculate that there are several atoms and solvents that could potentially spawn life. Because carbon has worked for the conditions on Earth, we speculate that the same must be true throughout the universe. In reality, there are many elements that could potentially do the trick. Even counter-intuitive elements such as arsenic may be capable of supporting life under the right conditions.

Even on Earth some marine algae incorporate arsenic into complex organic molecules such as arsenosugars and arsenobetaines. Several other small life forms use arsenic to generate energy and facilitate growth. Chlorine and sulfur are also possible elemental replacements for carbon. Sulfur is capably of forming long-chain molecules like carbon. Some terrestrial bacteria have already been discovered to survive on sulfur rather than oxygen, by reducing sulfur to hydrogen sulfide.

Nitrogen and phosphorus could also potentially form biochemical molecules. Phosphorus is similar to carbon in that it can form long chain molecules on its own, which would conceivably allow for formation of complex macromolecules. When combined with nitrogen, it can create quite a wide range of molecules, including rings.

So what about water? Isn’t at least water essential to life? Not necessarily. Ammonia, for example, has many of the same properties as water. An ammonia or ammonia-water mixture stays liquid at much colder temperatures than plain water. Such biochemistries may exist outside the conventional water-based "habitability zone". One example of such a location would be right here in our own solar system on Saturn's largest moon Titan.

Hydrogen fluoride methanol, hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen chloride, and formamide have all been suggested as suitable solvents that could theoretically support alternative biochemistry. All of these “water replacements” have pros and cons when considered in our terrestrial environment. What needs to be considered is that with a radically different environment, comes radically different reactions. Water and carbon might be the very last things capable of supporting life in some extreme planetary conditions.

At any rate, the odds of there being some type of life somewhere out there are good. As for intelligent life, well, that will depend on the definition of intelligence. There are a lot of other intelligent species here on Earth besides humans, that we don’t generally regard as such. In spite of many Star Trek episodes to the contrary, the odds of alien life forms having evolved to talk, look and act exactly like super hot humans are slim to none.

If life is out there, it will have evolved according to it’s particular niche in the universe and will likely be quite foreign to us in the way it looks, communicates and thinks. We might not even be able to recognize hypothetical life forms as alive in the sense that we understand life. In fact, it would be more “miraculous” if we could effectively communicate with extraterrestrial life than to find that it exists.

From that perspective, even if there are other life forms out there, we’d still be alone in the universe. Of course, that doesn’t mean we shouldn't look for the answers.

Posted by Rebecca Sato.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2009b/twodecades.html

source & references:



1976-The Canary Island Alien Sphere
Depiction of Sphere
One of the most bizarre reports of unusual phenomena occurred in 1976 in the Spanish Canary Islands. Although the case features a most extraordinary description of aliens and their craft, the occurrence is extremely reliable in that it includes multiple witness reports which agreed in all aspects of the case.

The phenomenon began on the night of June 22, 1976, as residents of Tenerife, La Palma, and La Gomera began reporting the sighting of unusual lights in the sky.

These lights and their maneuvers were different from anything residents of the area had seen before. Newspaper headlines the next morning proclaimed that "thousands of people" had witnessed a "spectacular phenomena" which lasted "twenty minutes." The most sensational aspect was the sighting of the aforementioned "sphere" occupied by strange alien beings.

Three days later, the Commanding General of the Canary Island Air Zone named an "Investigative Adjutant" to make sense of the events. His findings were forwarded by a Spanish Air Force General to journalist J. J. Benitez in 1976, and the details of the case quickly reached beyond the scope of the Islands to the outside world. Benitez's investigation would be the basis of his book, "UFOs: Official Documents of the Spanish Government."

The case would regain momentum in 1994, when files of the investigation were released as part of the unveiling of Spanish records, a type of "Freedom of Information" act. The 1976 report was massive, containing over one hundred pages of testimony, evaluations, drawings, and more.

The official Air Force report of the incident was headlined by depositions of fourteen witnesses. A type of standard was established with witness reliability based on social status. A doctor's report was considered a high priority, whereas a common laborer's report was given little, if any, weight.

In this particular case, this unfair standard did not take away from the acceptance of the facts, since all involved were in full agreement as to what they saw. The report was very detailed, and presented chronologically.

The initial report of the Canary Island UFO came from the Navy's armed escort ship, the "Atrevida." The ship was located off the coast of Fuerteventura Island. The ship's captain gave a detailed report of what he and his crew observed at 9:27 P.M. on June 22.

The entire crew saw an extremely bright yellow-blue light moving from the shore in the direction of the ship, located three and a half miles at sea. Several of the crewmen at first thought they were seeing a conventional aircraft with its landing lights on. The lights soon faded, and a type of beam began to rotate, similar to a lighthouse effect.

Afterwards, an intense halo of yellow and blue could be seen from the fantastic craft. Amazingly, the crew watched the craft for a full forty minutes. The craft seemed to be playing tricks with its lights, as they constantly changed from one form to another. Even though the light show was observed for a long period of time, no signature was evident on the ship's radar of any flying craft.

Actual transcript-Captain of Atrevida.

"At 21:27 (Z) hrs. on 22 June, we saw an intense yellowish-bluish light moving out from the shore towards our position. At first we thought it was an aircraft with its landing lights on. Then, when the light had attained a certain elevation (15 - 18 degrees), it became stationary.

The original light went out and a luminous beam from it began to rotate. It remained like this for approximately two minutes. Then an intense great halo of yellowish and bluish light developed, and remained in the same position for 40 minutes, even though the original phenomenon was no longer visible.

"Two minutes after the great halo, the light split into two parts, the smaller part being beneath, in the center of the luminous halo, where a blue cloud appeared and the part from which the bluish nucleus had come, vanished. The upper part began to climb in a spiral, rapid and irregular, and finally vanished.

None of these movements affected the initial circular halo in any way, which remained just the same the whole time, its glow lighting up parts of the land and the ocean, from which we could deduce that the phenomenon was not very far away from us, but was close."

Only a few minutes later, this same object was seen by residents of Canary Island proper. The bulk of the sightings were by citizens of three villages; Galdar, Las Rosas, and Agaete. A cross section of professions were involved; medical doctor, schoolteacher, farmer, taxi driver, and housewife, among others.

Acutal photo of unknown object filmed by tourist A thorough search of records by the Investigator Adjutant determined that there were no reports of "aerial traffic or military exercises at the time of the reports" that could possibly account for the sightings of the unknown object . The Adjutant, for the sake of clarity, divided the investigation into two different categories.

One was the larger craft observed by ship crewmen and others, and the second the smaller globe with the aliens aboard. By his own admission, and consistent with human nature, the Adjutant had no problem believing the reports of the larger craft, but had reservations accepting the orb since occupants were observed which were not consistent with human beings.

The Investigator General's last word on the subject was: "The fact that a very strange and peculiar aerial phenomena occurred on the night of 22 June is a true and proven fact, as incredible as its behavior and conditions may seem."

The incredible account of the sphere was submitted by Doctor Francisco Padron Leon, who lived in the city of Guia. His report is the most voluminous of the entire investigation. His background was thoroughly investigated, and he was found to be an upstanding, sane professional, whose word was considered truthful.

Padron had been summoned to make a house call, and commissioned a cab to take him to the location; the town of Las Rosas. As they rode along, the doctor and cab driver were engaged in light conversation. Suddenly, the car lights pointed out a slightly luminous object in the shape of a sphere.

The object was either landed, or hovering just above the ground. The object was made of a totally transparent and crystalline-like material. The doctor and driver both observed stars through the sphere. The object was bluish in color, with a radius of about 100 feet. The lower part of the orb contained a platform of aluminum-like material with three consoles. At each side of the center there were two huge figures from eight to ten feet tall. They were dressed in red, and always faced each other.

The beings were humanoid in shape, with large heads covered with a type of helmet. The doctor, hardly believing his own eyes, asked for confirmation from his cab driver.

"Are you seeing what I am?" he asked.

The driver exclaimed, "My God! What is that?"

The cab was only a short distance from the patient's house, and upon arriving, the doctor observed a type of bluish smoke coming from a tube rising through the center of the object.

Click for full size photograph The doctor stated:

"We were talking about hunting... as we entered the last part of the road, the car lights pointed at a slightly luminous sphere that was stationary and very close to the ground, although I can't say for sure if it was touching it.

It was made of a totally transparent and crystalline-like material, since it was possible to see through it the stars in the sky; it had an electric blue color but tenuous, without dazzling; it had a radius of about 30 m. [100 ft.], and in the lower third of the sphere you could see a platform of aluminum-like color as if made of metal, and three large consoles.

At each side of the center there were two huge figures of 2.50 to 3 m. [8.5 to 10 ft.] tall, but no taller than 3 m. [10 ft.], dressed entirely in red and facing each other in such a way that I always saw their profile."

"Then I observed that some kind of bluish smoke was coming out from a semi-transparent central tube in the sphere, covering the periphery of the sphere's interior without leaking outside at any moment.

Then the sphere began to grow and grow until it became huge like a 20-story house, but the platform and the crew remained the same size; it rose slowly and majestically and it seems I heard a very tenuous whistling."

The sphere grew to an enormous size as it began to ascend into the sky. The doctor ran into the house, and told the family about what he had seen. Running outside, they observed the orb, which was now extremely high in the sky. It reached an enormous speed, accelerating toward Tenerfie.

Finally it dissolved into a smaller size, and disappeared. Another witness, a lady who was a relative of the patient, was watching television when suddenly the screen went blank, and her dogs began to bark outside. Running to a window, she saw the doctor's cab, and the blue sphere above it. She also noted that the sphere was transparent, with two beings inside. Shocked, she closed the windows and doors, and began to pray.

Map of Area There were several other sightings of a similar nature throughout the year of 1976 on the Island. The final "official" report was ambiguous at best.

The observance of the craft by all who saw it was accepted as genuine, although no "earthly" explanation was offered for its unique look and behavior.

On the other hand, although the witnesses of the smaller orb with aliens were classified as totally reliable, the actual presence of the beings was questioned. In other words, the witnesses were telling the truth, but what they saw was too far fetched to believe.

No other explanation was forthcoming on an official level, and the Canary Island phenomenon remains today as an authentic, well documented sighting of an unidentified flying craft with occupants.


Benítez, J.J., OVNIS: Documentos Oficiales del Gobierno Español, Barcelona, Plaza & Janes, 1977.

Deposition No. B-07 of the Captain of Corvette in the Spanish Air Force file; English translation by Gordon Creighton, Flying Saucer Review, Vol. 23, No. 3, 1977.

Adjutant's Report, Las Palmas Aerial Sector, July 16, 1976.

Deposition No. A-01 by Dr. Francisco Padrón León in the Spanish Air Force file.

Deposition No. A-02 by taxi driver and No. B-05 by woman in Galdar, in the Spanish Air Force file.


(last update, 04-11-09)

California-Several Objects Spotted
04-04-09-Warm, sunny day, no clouds. I was lying on the deck of a house in the Berkeley Hills, it had a good view of the surrounding area. I heard a plane but could not see one. I looked directly up to see an all black aircraft flying at a very high altitude (it looked like a stealth bomber in my personal opinion).

The aircraft was flying in the northeastern direction. I watched it until it disappeared behind a tree for a second, then disregarded it for going too high or being too far for me to see. About 15-30 seconds after the black aircraft disappeared, I saw a tight formation of 4 white objects flying towards me from the northeast (the same direction the black aircraft was flying towards).

They appeared to have a slightly lower altitude than normal commercial aircraft, and were way below the first aircraft I saw. They were "swooping" up and down and from side to side while keeping their tight formation, all the while moving towards my direction of the southwest. As they were doing this, they also seemed to be turning the body of the air/spacecraft so the thinnest part of it was facing me, then they would turn again so i could see the flat, white shape of each craft.

From my perspective, they looked like they were large, white, flat objects swooping up and down, then turn and they would disappear, then turn and show themselves again. They disappeared and reappeared like this 7 or 8 times, all the while flying up and down and side to side, holding their tight formation.

They didn't show any similarities with normal flight patterns of jet aircraft. After I saw them flying for a total of around 15 seconds, they disappeared from sight completely. I watched the sky for the next 20 minutes to make sure they didn't fly overhead like they appeared to be heading. I never saw the objects or the initial black aircraft again. David L. source: www.ufocasebook.com

Oklahoma-Pearl-Like Object
03-26-09-My brother and I stepped out back to smoke at about 1:00 AM. I saw a light that looked like no other star I've see before through my telescope. After watching it for a few moments while smoking my cigar, I could actually tell it was moving. At this time I still thought it was nothing. I am a UFO skeptic.

But after continually observing it, I was able to logically rule out anything I thought it could be. It was at this time I told my brother about it. I said almost jokingly, "I think this might be a UFO here." I still didn't believe what I was seeing. It was bright with colors rotating throughout it, mostly red, green, and blue.

There were strobing lights coming from it at times, radiating out at least 5 times the width of the object. It moved, but not very fast, and it appeared to move back and forth a little but mostly in a single direction. I tried to get some video, but my handheld HD camera wouldn't pick it up in such light conditions.

My brother got his binoculars out of his truck and we observed it through those. You could then clearly see it was almost a chrome light, and the colors made it almost look like a pearl glowing very brightly. You could see the strobes very clearly with the binoculars.

After observing it for a while we went back in due to how cold it was but would step out and look at it every few minutes.

We almost convinced ourselves it was a star, but then on the next trip out it was gone. I've always thought UFOs were just people seeing planes, or other common objects, but this was unreal. source: www.mufon.com

Texas-Small Triangle UFO
03-26-09-I was walking the dog at around 9:35 PM. It had been raining all day, yet the skies were clear. I was looking at the stars and watching the air traffic in the area after having dinner with my wife. I continued walking, and facing west, noticed something moving in the sky. I looked up to observe a very small, very dimly lit triangular object moving roughly northwest, very quickly.

It had very small, very dim, white lights on the bottom, at least 6 or 8, and appeared to be very low, under 5,000 ft by my estimation. There was absolutely no sound, and the street I was nearby was very quiet at the time. The object moved very quickly, and went behind the apartments ahead of me before I had a chance to get to a better viewing position.

This object was clearly not a helicopter, small plane, or commercial aircraft. It was too small, too quiet, too dimly lit, and too fast.

I was immediately struck with disbelief, and felt like it had to be something easily explainable, but the more I thought about it, the less likely that seemed. source: www.mufon.com

India-Triangle UFO Seen
04-04-09-I was sitting in my college campus (SRM University) near Chennai, India, with my friends when one of them suddenly pointed to the sky and told us to look. We saw a perfect triangular object that was moving at high speed noiselessly.

We would have probably not noticed it had it not been for the three lights at the vertices of the triangle. The lights were an abnormally milky white. The time of sighting was about 8:30 PM.

The UFO was moving in a south to north direction, and was either a very dark blue or black. Karthik G, Chennai, India-source: www.ufocasebook.com

THE UFO CASEBOOK Domain is owned and operated by Casebook Productions.

Legal: The names, UFO Casebook, UFO Casebook Productions, and the UFO Casebook logo are registered with the proper agencies of the United States patent, and copyright offices. Any use of these names or logo without the expressed written consent of owner B J Booth is prohibited by American and International law.

Editor B. J. Booth is a member of MUFON.