UFO Casebook headgraphic


UFO Casebook Magazine Issue 406, Issue date, 05-10-10

Share This Page with a Friend

Published: 11:42 AM 5/2/2010


Sunday, May 2, 2010

WE FREQUENTLY DISCUSS the possibility of extraterrestrial on "The LARRY KING Live! Show" – do aliens exist, and will we ever get to meet them?

Some say they've already been to Earth – and Investigation Discovery put together this list of The TOP 10 UFO ENCOUNTERS of ALL TIME!


The TOWN OF Oloron, France, is famous for its chocolates, jaunty berets and a special type of unidentified flying object known as an "angel hair UFO."

One afternoon, in October 1952, dozens of witnesses reported seeing a very unusual sight in the sky — a cylinder surrounded by a group of discs, each of which had ribbons of white smoke emanating down from it.

The DISCS APPEARED as reddish spheres circled by a gold ring, and the emanations were described as having the appearance of angel hair.

Even more strange were reports that as townspeople tried to collect the angel hair substance — which had begun to cover homes, trees and the ground — it simply vanished into thin air.

Several similar incidents have been recorded in nearby Gaillac, France, as well as other parts of the world, but no explanation has been offered to explain the angel hair UFOs.


PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD and all walks of life report seeing UFOs, including politicians. In 1974, Ronald Reagan, then governor of California and future U.S. president, mentioned to journalist Norman C. Miller of the Wall Street Journal that he had once seen a UFO.

The sighting occurred while Reagan's plane was preparing to land at Bakersfield, Calif.

A MEMBERS OF HIS security team noticed that a strange object — a bright white light — was trailing them closely from behind. The security guard alerted the pilot and the others onboard, and they watched in amazement as the object shot up toward the sky at unprecedented speed.

Reagan reportedly clammed up about the event as soon as he told the story to Miller. It was the only time he was known to have mentioned the incident in public.


MANY PEOPLE KNOW the FOO FIGHTERS as an American rock band, but the name was first used to describe unidentified flying objects frequently spotted by pilots and sailors during World War II.

There are reports from troops on both sides of the war of a strange phenomenon — sometimes described as bright lights, glowing balls or variously shaped flying objects — that would follow them on their missions and keep pace with each maneuver.

AT THE TIME, most people assumed the Foo Fighters were some sort of enemy aircraft, but after the war was over no evidence was found to substantiate that claim on either side.

Several scientific theories have been put forth to explain the existence of Foo Fighters, but there remains no definitive explanation for them to date.


THERE HAVE BEEN MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS of UFO sightings by astronauts as they travel through space, but most of these mysterious objects are eventually explained away by science.

One example is the famous Apollo 16 UFO sighting. In 1972, the crew of the Apollo 16 moon mission — John Young, Thomas Mattingly and Charles Duke — set out to explore the surface of the moon's rocky highlands.

AS THEY BEGAN their return home, the space men recorded a few seconds of video footage of a strange object, which was saucer-shaped with a dome on top. Would this object be NASA-backed proof that we are not alone in the universe? Alas, no

. Close investigation by a NASA team back on Earth revealed that the object was actually a floodlight used in the spacewalk, not a UFO.


MEXICO HAS BECOME A HOTBED of UFO activity in recent years, with sightings reported around the country, many of which have produced some of the most compelling UFO video footage to date.

But perhaps the most famous UFO video of recent years comes from the Mexican air force.

In 2004, air force pilots were conducting routine anti-drug trafficking exercises over southern Campeche when they picked up a series of objects on their radar. Intrigued, they turned on their infrared camera and saw what appeared to be 10 or 11 bright lights moving rapidly across the sky.

The video footage of the lights caused an international media frenzy when it was released by the Mexican Defense Ministry, and the incident placed Mexico definitively at the center of global UFO investigations.


On Monday, Nov. 17, 1986, Kenju Terauchi, a Japanese Airlines (JAL) pilot, was flying a Boeing 747 over Alaska when a set of lights appeared in front of his plane.

At first he and his crew thought that the lights were coming from a military aircraft, but they soon realized that the glowing objects were actually two spaceships hovering directly in front of them.

ACCORDING TO Terauchi and his crew, the spaceships shined a light into the cockpit of the JAL plane and then circled in formation a few times before disappearing from view. Terauchi and his crew were in shock, but there was more to come.

Amazingly, the crew spotted a giant "mothership" to the rear of their plane, which Terauchi described as the size of two aircraft carriers. It remained in formation with the JAL plane despite maneuvers to veer away from it.

Fearing for their safety, the crew decided to land. As they descended, the mothership disappeared.


The RENDELSHAM FOREST incident refers to a series of UFO sightings in Britain's Rendlesham Forest, a woodland area situated between two U.S. Air Force bases along England's east coast.

After midnight on Dec. 26, 1980, eyewitnesses and Air Force patrolmen followed a UFO as it passed through the sky and landed in the forest.

PATROLMEN IMMEDIATELY ENTERED the forest to investigate the landing and found a conical metallic object resting on three legs. As they approached, the object began to hover above the ground before sharply breaking toward the sky and shining bright lights down on them.

Later that morning, patrolmen returned to the site of the landing and found three distinct impressions on the ground in a triangle pattern as well as broken tree branches. The Rendlesham intrigue had begun.

The FOLLOWING EVENING, two patrol groups were sent to investigate the Rendlesham UFO. During the search, one group reported seeing darting lights among the forest trees, while the other saw a glowing cone-shaped object with figures moving about inside of it.

There were also reports of townspeople who claimed to have personal encounters with extraterrestrial beings from inside the UFO that night.

The truth about the Rendlesham Forest incident may never be fully revealed, but its legendary status among UFO enthusiasts and tourists alike is unmatched in Britain.


COMING IN ON OUR COUNTDOWN at No. 3 is the RB-47 encounter, one of the most significant UFO encounters in history.

In July 1957, the U.S. Air Force's RB-47 plane was conducting an electronic intelligence mission over the southern U.S. In the early morning hours, the six-man team aboard the plane noticed that they were being followed by an unidentified flying object.

This lasted for about an hour and a half, at which time the object began to close in on them.

The STRANGE CRAFT had no navigational lights and moved with unparalleled speed and agility. Then, just as suddenly as it had appeared, the object moved abruptly from port side to starboard and then blinked out.

Amazingly, moments later their electronic surveillance equipment noted the presence of another UFO at the same time as the crew observed a powerful light in the sky. As they moved in to have a better look, the object disappeared.


PERHAPS THE MOST FAMOUS REPORT of an alien abduction is the story of Barney and Betty Hill, a married couple who claimed to have been abducted by extraterrestrials in September 1961.

As the Hills were driving along a rural road in New Hampshire, a strange disc-shaped light suddenly appeared in the sky. At first they thought it was a shooting star, but soon the object came to hover above their car.

Barney got out of the car and saw several humanoid figures through the windowed UFO. Afraid, he got back in his car and drove away at top speed with Betty at his side.

AS THEY DROVE, the Hills heard a series of beeps, their car began to vibrate and both began to feel drowsy. After a second round of beeps, the car returned to normal functioning.

However, neither Barney nor Betty would return to normal for quite some time. Nightmares and strange sensations plagued them both for weeks.

Under hypnosis, they separately recounted an experience of being abducted into the UFO and undergoing a medical examination.

The realization of their experience was as much a shock to the Hills as it was to the rest of the nation.

And now for the #1 UFO SIGHTING/ENCOUNTER With ALIEN BEINGS From Another World ...


MOST AMERICANS have heard of Roswell, the New Mexico town where an alien spacecraft is thought to have landed in July 1947. The U.S. government has maintained for years that no such incident occurred, but the legend of Roswell was too powerful to be suppressed.

The ROSWELL UFO INCIDENT centers on the recovery of a flying disc and metallic debris on a hillside by Roswell Army Air Field personnel on July 8, 1947.

The finding immediately caught the attention of the national media, but was soon forgotten when it was announced later that day that the material was the remains of a downed weather balloon.

BUT ROSWELL was back in the news as the subject of a highly publicized investigation three decades later, after a 1978 interview with Maj. Jesse Marcel, who was involved in the recovery of the debris at Roswell.

He stated that he believed that the debris recovered at Roswell was unearthly in nature and that the U.S. military had covered up the landing of an extraterrestrial spacecraft.

Other people associated with the Roswell incident also came forward with alien reports, including a mortician named Glenn Dennis, who claimed to have performed secret alien autopsies.

AMERICANS WERE CAPTIVATED by the idea of extraterrestrial visitors, and Roswell has become a tourist destination for its alien appeal. Many people still believe that the U.S. government maintains secrets at the highest level of government about the events at Roswell.

We may never know the truth, but the Roswell incident takes our top spot for the controversy and attention it has received.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/kingtopten.html

source & references:


Virginia History: More UFOs Sighted Locally and Statewide
Published: 12:04 PM 5/2/2010

By Charles Culbertson/contributor, mail@stauntonhistory.com

The December 1964 sighting of an alleged unidentified flying object on U.S. 250 just east of Staunton sparked massive public interest, an investigation by the U.S. Air Force and a number of what might be called "copycat" sightings.

One of them involved several Staunton teenagers who claimed to have had a close encounter with a spaceman.

By late January 1965, the story of Grottoes resident Horace Burns' sighting of the mysterious craft (which he said landed in a field between Staunton and Fishersville) had gained national media attention and was beginning to generate a rash of other sightings throughout the state.

UFOs were allegedly seen at Marion, Fredericksburg and South Boston.

Locally, UFOs were reported seen in Greenville and the Jollivue area.

"Despite mounting reports of UFOs, the Leander McCormick observatory on Mt. Jefferson at Charlottesville hasn't spotted a thing," wrote the Jan. 25 Staunton Leader. "Larry Frederick, chairman of the astronomy department at the University of Virginia, explained that the objects could be meteors since the last six weeks have produced some 'showering' activity."

Frederick said another possibility was that people were seeing the high-intensity landing lights of jets which "follow the main north-south and east-west flyways that criss-cross the area."

The most creative sighting was reported by a Staunton teenager who said that while riding on U.S. 250 at Brands Flat with some friends, he saw what looked like a man walking toward the road from a field.

The teen thought nothing of it until the man sat down alongside the road and began to examine the cars passing by.

The youth said he then realized that the man might have come from one of the spaceships recently reported in the area. He said he and his friends got out of the car and ran toward the man, who escaped over a hill.

Two other little men appeared and also ran away, he said.

"They left us way behind," said the teen, who described the men as about three and a half feet tall and wearing one-piece, skin-tight garments that were silver in color.

The boys reported their sighting to Staunton police, who sent 10 reservists and a photographer to the scene to investigate. They turned up nothing.

After they left, the teenager who had first spotted the "spacemen" and the photographer stayed to continue the search.

They said they came upon a "glowing" aluminum barn. The photographer allegedly entered the barn and was hit by something. When he and the teenager started to run, the photographer turned to take a picture of the barn.

The teen said that as the camera's flash bulb went off, its light showed one of the little men standing by the structure. That alleged photo has never been published, at least not locally.

Local UFO hysteria reached its height Jan. 28 when a number of Staunton residents carrying guns spread out along U.S. 250 to search for aliens.

"Gun-toting Staunton area residents who pursue 'little green men' were sharply criticized today by Augusta County Sheriff John E. Kent," reported the Leader.

Kent said "it is dangerous as well as ridiculous" for grown men to take to the fields and woods to look for nocturnal creatures who stray away from their spaceships and disappear.

Staunton Police Chief R. Ruff Cline said he believed "the whole thing is a hoax."

After that, local interest in UFOs and spacemen seemed to diminish, with the Leader firing a final satirical shot with a front-page photo of a spaceman in a flying saucer — concocted by staff photographer Dennis Sutton.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/virginiahistory.html

source & references:


Ohio - Baffling UFO Sighting Finally Explained?
Published: 10:01 AM 5/5/2010

Mark Zinni Fox 8 Reporter

CLEVELAND -- In March, mysterious lights were spotted in the sky over Northeast Ohio. FOX 8 heard from hundreds of viewers after one man claimed it was a UFO, but some dispute that claim after an independent investigation.

Eugene Erlikh first noticed the lights near his Euclid apartment in March, but now that it's May? "There have been more each day," said Erlikh. "They've been brighter, they've been more colorful and more and more people have been seeing them."

After first recording the lights on March 3, Eugene said he has heard from people around the world, including Michael Lee Hill. He happens to live near Eugene and claims to have seen the same thing. "As I was down at the beach, over my right-hand shoulder, I see this really bright light and it's coming up really low, right over treetop level," said Hill.

Hill also recorded his close encounter near Lake Erie and described the object as a triangle with lights on each corner. "This was absolutely silent until it got right overtop my head and then it kinda sounded like a vacuum cleaner, that's the only sound, like this low, little hum," said Hill.

"We realized later, the next day, the next few days that we filmed the same exact thing, doing the same formations and it is just astounding," said Erlikh.

The Cleveland Ufology Project was founded back in 1952 and members meet regularly to talk about the many reported sightings in Northeast Ohio.

"This area has always been pretty popular for UFO sightings," said Aaron Clark from the C.U.P. "People really get interested when there's a mystery and this is one of the biggest mysterious out there."

Some believers say the lake may play a role in the sightings. "Lake Erie has always been a pretty mysterious lake, there's always been kind of strange things happening out there," said Clark.

"Sometimes people always wonder if there's a connection back to power plants, other things along those lines maybe attracting something there," said Thomas Wertman. He is a member of the C.U.P. and the Mutual UFO Network, a national organization.

According to Wertman, a team spread out one night near Lorain, Cleveland and Euclid to investigate what Eugene keeps seeing and they did it with Eugene's help.

"I happened to be on the phone with the witness that same night and he confirmed, yes, we're both seeing the same object in the same direction in the sky, yes it's appearing at the same time and it appeared multiple times that night."

Using star charts and flight tracking software, Wertman determined the lights are coming from airplanes likely making a turn as they land at Hopkins. "Everything pointed in that direction and there really isn't too much doubt in my mind what it was," said Wertman.

But that determination isn't unanimous. "Um, yeah, they're not airplanes," said Michael Lee Hill.

"I mean, this is completely unusual," said Erlikh. He's open to the possibility that it could be anything, but there's little doubt in their mind - like it or not, we are not alone.

"Just look up, man," said Hill. "And don't be afraid of this phenomenon. If they meant us harm, we wouldn't be talking right now."

NASA won't comment and a spokesperson for the FAA said they're not funded by Congress to investigate UFO sightings.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/ohioexplained.html

source & references:


Were Bright Lights Spotted over Castle Hill UFOs?
Published: 11:57 AM 5/4/2010

Huddersfield Daily Examiner

A HUDDERSFIELD man believes strange lights he saw in the night sky above Huddersfield could be UFOs.

Vivian Rayner, of Derwent Road, Honley, spotted the mysterious lights passing over Castle Hill at around 9.30pm on Sunday.

He saw about 12 bright yellow lights moving south-west towards Honley from the hill over a 10-minute period.

He said: “My wife and I were watching the TV and just by chance the curtains were open and my wife said: ‘What are those lights?’

“There was a group of five or six bright yellow lights coming from Castle Hill towards Honley.

“I went out of the house. It was quite dark and I saw the lights.

“I thought they might be helicopters but there was no noise.

“They weren’t going at the same speed. Some were moving sideways in relation to another.

“I couldn’t make anything out apart from the lights.

“Then one single one came across from the same way.

“I went upstairs to get my binoculars, but by that time they had gone.”

Huddersfield is no stranger to UFO – unidentified flying object – reportings.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/castlehillufos.html

source & references:


1977 - Alien Abduction at McKee City, New Jersey
Published: 02 May 2010 04:06 PM PDT

JULY 20, 1977 - McKee City, New Jersey

Note: The date is approximate.

I was driving with two other people in my car and we were coming home from the store. We saw a enormous red sphere in front of and over our car.

The height seemed to be about 500 to 800 feet above us. I stopped the car and looked out the window. Then I got out of the car for a better look.

We were in awe at what we saw, and transfixed on the spot. At first I thought it was the moon, then I thought maybe it was a hot air balloon or a weather balloon. Then I just didn’t know what I was looking at. It was close. It did not move.

The red sphere was stationary in the air, deep red and orange, mostly red, and it seemed to have a pulse to it. There was no noise.

The surface of it looked smooth, but there appeared to be a red haze of slightly transparent red fog around it. It did not seem mechanical.

We were on a very dark country road about two miles from home. It was a warm summer night. The sky was clear, and I could see the stars far away.

The sight of the object caused a really terrifying fear in me, and I drove home as fast as I could.

I drove about half a mile and turned left and the object was gone. My two companions were terrified.

When we got home, my friend at the house complained that we had been gone so long. The entire trip felt like it took 20 minutes total, but we had been gone for two hours.

There is no way that trip to the store can take two hours. Something happened. I never believed in UFOs, and I am a super skeptic, but I don’t know what we saw that night. I can’t explain what happened.

There was nothing in the paper the following day. Nothing was reported on the radio. There were no reports of weather balloons or anything strange.

If I had to guess the size of the object, I would say it appeared to be about five times the size of a round, city water tower top.

Case is under investigation by MUFON’s field investigator Joe Di Eduardo.


permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/1977newjerseyabduction.html

source & references:


MUFON, New Jersey

Archived File

Brazilian Island of Colares-UFO Encounters of 1977
Photo of Orb
In 1977, the Brazilian island of Colares was visited by flying objects of an unknown nature. Nearly all kinds of UFOs were seen; some big, some small, saucer shaped, cigar shaped, luminous or not. They arrived from the North every day, from the sky and also sometimes from underwater, and it lasted for months.

Regularly, some Island inhabitants were targeted by the objects, sending strange rays to them, and many were badly hurt, with two reported dead. The Army intervenes, the press follows. 35 people were hurt by the strange rays, and many fled from the Island.

The events mainly concentrated on the city of Colares, about 2,000 inhabitants, on Colares Island, which is in the region of Pará, the delta of the Amazon river on the northeastern coast of Brazil. But the whole region was visited by the same phenomenon.

Beginning in August of 1977, in the island of Colares, a strange phenomenon began to occur, that the Brazilian call Chupa-chupa.

Strange luminous objects appeared over the few towns of the region. These objects were often projecting thin rays, seemingly of light, directed at the people. The touched people fainted and woke up with a strange anemia. They stated that they felt as if some of their blood was removed by the strange rays.

The fisherman Manoel João de Oliveira Filho, aged 44, married and residing at No. 64 rua Carneiro de Mendonça, was strolling towards the beach early one morning with some companions, to spend a day at sea fishing.

Before they had arrived at their boats, they saw - above the Rio Novo beach - an object shaped "like an umbrella" stationary at about 4 meters from the ground. From its under-part came a vivid white light.

No sound was detectable from it from where they were standing. The object then moved away silently towards Machadinho, turning off the light as it went.

A carpenter named João Dias Costa (aged 44) and a fisherman, João da Cruz Silva (aged 54), both of Colares town, saw the notorious "luminous spheres" so greatly feared on account of their "low skimming swoops".

Another man from Colares town, Sr. Zacarias dos Santos Barata (74) saw the glowing balls on two nights. The first time, the object came from the direction of the Bay of Marajó, and rapidly vanished towards the interior of Colares Island.

On the second night another ball, blue in color, flew over the local football field. "It lit up all the trees around the field and then vanished towards the town's center,” said Sr. Zacarias.

Sr. Sebastião Vernek "Zizi" Miranda described his experience as follows:

"I was there with my wife, Palmira, in front of the church on the sea-front, when at about 8.00 pm, we saw an intensely vivid "orangish" light coming in from the sea towards the town. As it approached, it climbed, and then, moving rapidly, vanished towards the inner part of the Island."

The barber Carlos Cardoso de Paula (aged 49), living at Travessa Deodoro da Fonseca No. 231, had a still closer encounter with the "lights", as he himself relates:

"Everybody else was asleep. I was just still having my last smoke when suddenly a ball of fire entered our house up near the ridgepole of the gable. It started shooting round and round the room, and then finally came right close to my hammock.

"It ran up my right leg as far as the knee (without touching my skin). I watched with much curiosity as it then moved across to the other leg. Then I started to feel feeble and sleepy. My cigarette fell from my hand and I came to and let out a yell. The fireball quickly vanished and everybody woke up.

"I think it had been searching for a vein in my body but didn’t manage to do so. As its brightness grew, I felt a sort of heat coming from it."

Worker Raimundo Costa Leite, very well known in the town of Colares for his skill in making and repairing fishing nets, described his own experience:

"At about 4.00 in the early morning, I went with my pal “Baixinho” (Orivaldo Malaquias Pinheiro) to fish off the beach at Cajueiro. As I recall it, Baixinho shouted, 'Look! There it is!' and took to his heels, leaving me alone on the beach.

"The craft was of the size and shape of a helicopter, made no noise, and was flying very high.

"I could have taken a pot-shot at it if I had had a gun with me. I was terrified when the machine shone a sort of searchlight down on the beach. That light was sweeping the ground, illuminating everything! It was a bluish light (sort of ‘cold light’).

"It made it easier for me to see this because the craft had several small reddish lights beneath its front part... The craft seemed to be seeking something on the ground.

"I was scared that it would touch me and, despite my poor physical condition, I managed to run quite a distance, and then Baixinho returned and helped me. The object had come from the direction of the sea and it headed off into the inner part of the Island."

Actually, so many more people reported being attacked by beams of light from small UFOs in this area that only few of them are mentioned here.

On October 20, three women were hit in the breast by the beams of light: "All three were overcome by tremendous nervous tension and an unknown sort of lassitude as though they were receiving constant electric shocks," wrote a newspaper.

On the evening of October 29, Benedito Campos and his seventeen-year-old wife Silvia Mara were at home when "they spotted an oval, silvery object emitting a greenish beam like a searchlight towards the room where they were lying.

"Filled with curiosity, they approached a small window and, as they did so, the beam shot in through it, and made straight for Silvia, throwing her into a sort of benumbed trance-like state."

Silvia, who was pregnant at the time, then fainted, whereupon two entities apparently entered the house carrying something resembling a golden torch and "once again the beam struck Silvia, this time hitting her in the left arm at the level of the wrist.

"Her veins seemed to 'rise up out of the body' so swollen were they by the beam striking them."

Later, while at a neighbour's house, Benedito was also briefly paralyzed by a light beam. Fearing a miscarriage, husband and wife were taken at night by boat to the Mosqueiro Medical Clinic, followed all the way by the UFO, which made no further attempt to harm them.

They remained there for three days while the wife recovered, but Benedito "was in a state of severe depression for some days, his motor functions disturbed and, as his mother reports, weeping frequently."

The UFO activity over Colares Island was so intense that the people began to think the "Chupa-chupas" were trying to make some sort of contact with them. Such was the view expressed by Sr. Raimundo Ferreira "Mimi" Monteiro. He still believes the craft were coming up out of the sea or out of some underwater base located in the Bay of Marajó, possibly in the region of the Caldeirão.

Alfredo Bastos Filho, a former town mayor, confirmed this and said: "Yes, indeed I can tell you, there wasn’t a moment of peace. The populace were terrified by that "Chupa-chupa" affair. I even managed to see one of the injured victims myself - Dona Mirota, a lady who was receiving medical treatment at the Health Clinic."

The locals became so frightened that many of the women and children left town. The men that remained lit bonfires to mount guard at night, letting off fireworks and banging tins whenever they saw the Chupa-chupas approaching.

Others locked themselves in their homes for fear of the phenomenon. It was mentioned later that the more din people made and the more bonfires and fireworks, the closer the craft came.

Colares 1 Colares image 2

By November 1977 doctor Wellaide Cecim Carvalho, the physician in charge of the health unit on Colares Island, took care of to some 35 people claiming to have been touched by the strange light.

She took blood samples, and concluded that the victims suffered from generalized hypertermia, superficial chronic headache, burnings, intense heat, nauseas, tremors in the body, giddiness, asthenia and presented very small orifices in the skin where they were hit by the rays.

She wrote: "All of them had suffered lesions to the face or the thoracic area." The lesions, looking like radiation injuries, "began with intense reddening of the skin in the affected area. Later the hair would fall out and the skin would turn black. There was no pain, only a slight warmth. One also noticed small puncture marks in the skin. The victims were men and women of varying ages, without any pattern."

In describing their experiences with these light beams, most victims claimed that "They were immediately immobilized, as if a heavy weight pushed against their chest. The beam was about [seven or eight centimetres] in diameter and white in color. It never hunted for them but hit them suddenly.

"When they tried to scream, no sound would come out, but their eyes remained open. The beam felt hot, 'almost as hot as a cigarette burn,' barely tolerable. "After a few minutes the column of light would slowly retract and disappear." Most symptoms usually disappeared after seven days. "

At Agulhas Fincadas, Mrs. Maria Lopes, inhabitant of Vila Gorete, to the margins of Rio Tapajós, in the neighborhoods of Santarém (Pará), tells her case involving "strange devices" that absorb energy from human beings, known as Chupa-Chupa.

"I saw an object to settle quiet in the bushes here close... It had left two men and a woman, who had started to move with two fishing," counts Maria.

Other people in the place had been paralyzed when observing the scene.

Many had hurt themselves when trying to escape one of the strange objects. In many cases, the marks left by the rays on the victims skin were marks that could have up to eight small holes. In these occurrences, the Chupa-Chupa term was proven right as many of them had lost up to approximately 300 ml of blood, from these wounds.

This was the case of Claudomira, resident in the Island of Colares. She claims that her family already did not sleep right with fear of the devices.

"In one of these days, after midnight, I woke up because of a strong flash, a sort of focussed bright green light ray that came down from the top roof to my left chest. I tried to shout, but my voice did not function. I felt an esquisite heat... Later, that beam of light diminished and I saw that I was burnt."

Claudomira told that she sighted a strange object, much similar to an umbrella, from which a being of clear skin, oriental eyes, and great ears.

According to her, the creature was dressed in tight green clothes and had a sort of pistol in the hand, which emitted the luminous beam. At this moment, Claudomira felt perforated as by needles on her breast.

"After this, I felt a migraine headache and a great weakness, that left me collapsed for several days."

The next day, she had been directed to the Sanitary Unit of the town, where she was taken care of by Doctor Wellaide Cecim Carvalho, who sent her to the Medical Institute Renato Chaves, in Belém, for backup examinations.

Her ill-being and the constant migraines lasted many days, followed by fatigue and weakness. Years later, Claudomira still did not feel cured.

"My health never came back to be the same since that night."

She is not the only one to have passed for such situation. Some estimate that thousands of people, also men, had suffered the attacks of the Chupa-Chupa in the years between 1970 and 1980, and they still occur today, though less frequently.

"Emotional and physical sequels are very common in these cases," affirmed Dr. Wellaide Cecim Carvalho, who took care of Claudomira.

Although she was skeptical and she believed that the occurrences of Chupa-Chupa were popular belief or some witchcraft, Dr. Wellaide ended up convinced of the veracity of the cases when she was confronted with their increasing frequency.

"With the increase of hurt people, I started to give more attention each time in the existing injuries. I saw things that do not exist in my medical books," she said.

According to her, the victims of Chupa-Chupa presented strangest burnings, not as those provoked by fire or hot water, as she thought herself, but very similar to ones produced by cobalt irradiation. "

The injuries varied in intensity. First it started with an intense reddishness in the hit area, known as hiperemia. Later, the skin of the affected region started to fall (alopecia) and days later the skin peeled off.

In this period of development, said Wellaide, it was possible to note holes, similar to perforations by needles.

One of the most interesting cases she took care of happened with a lady who had cardiac problems. She arrived at the doctor's office very nervous and immediately she showed her left breast, in which were two strange holes.

She complained of giddiness, shortness of breath, and weakness - characteristic symptoms already known by people hit by the phenomenon. The doctor tried to calm her and she returned to her home.

But at about 03:00 pm, however, Dr. Wellaide was called to the residence of the woman, who had become very sick. Her whole body was still, and she gasped for air, but she did not have fever and did not vomit.

Seeing the seriousness of the situation, the doctor took her to a hospital in Belém.

Hours later, she received the medical papers and the certificate of death forwarded by the Medical Institute Legal Renato Chaves, which stated a heart stroke as cause of the death.

The intriguing fact is that at no time, doctors in Belém had mentioned something about the injuries on her body and did not even say if they had effected backing examinations.

Regarding the possible effects of the UFOs on the supply of electricity, Sr. Geraldo Aranha de Oliveira (aged 37) of the C.E.I.P.A. (Pará Electricity Plant) explained:

"In 1977 the C.E.I.P.A. sub-station consisted of three Scania 125 kw engines supplying light to the city from 6 pm till midnight. I don’t recall having ever seeing a UFO over the plant. I merely remember that, at that period, lots of lightning conductor rods were burnt out and, at times, some fuses too."

COMAR (Comando Aéreo Regional, the Regional Air Command of the Brazilian Air Forces), arrived in Belém, and made a series of researches in the region, under the project name "Operation Plate." (Operation Saucer)

Captain Uyrangê Bolivar Soares Nogueira de Hollanda Lima, head of information office, directed all the operations in the region. During the investigations, the Air Force obtained four films and hundreds of photographs of flying disks in the basin of Marajó.

They also were a great help to the population, providing psychologists assistance, to eliminate the panic that sized the entire region.

The beams of light from the craft were described as being so bright that they resembled those used to illuminate night sporting events. They were "always sharply defined, directed with perfect precision towards any target – houses, people, boats, trees, even the Brazilian Air Force's helicopters deployed over the island during the investigations."

On one occasion, one of these powerful beams is reported to have forced one of the helicopters to land, although the exact technical reason is not given. (Giese, 1996)

According to a statement by Sr. Sebastião V. Miranda, former resident of Colares, "the Brazilian Air Force spent more than 35 days in the town, and installed various devices near the Bacurí beach."

Sra. Alba Câmara Vilhena, a married lady living at 683 rua 15 de Novembro, added: "At the time of the "Chupa-chupa" everybody was scared to sleep at night, and so almost every night we went away to be with relatives. On one occasion some people saw one of the craft. It was round, and all luminous.

"Just at that moment, a helicopter of the F.A.B. (Brazilian Air Force) was flying quite near to our house. Then we saw the UFO direct a very powerful beam on to the helicopter, obliging it to land on the São Pedro Airfield. That happened at about 8.00 pm one evening."

Professor Raimundo Sebastião Aranha said: "At that period I was closely connected with some of the Air Force's enquiries. They were seeking more information about the "Chupa-chupa."

He said the Air Force had with them masses of equipment: cars, helicopters, radio transmitters, cameras, powerful glasses, etc. He recalls that, in addition to the rank and file Air Force recruits, there was a whole group of officers, and he had the impression that there was a foreigner among them.

"The helicopters that appeared from time to time, bringing materials and personnel, attempted to chase the UFOs but without much success. Indeed, on the contrary, it was the UFOs that chased them!"

One night several months later, on May 24 1978, a journalist and photographer, who had been sent to cover the local UFO encounters, were in their car when despite the heavy rain they were woken up "by a powerful beam of light which – however unbelievable, it may seem – passed through the metallic structure of the roof of the vehicle."

Not surprisingly they leapt out of the car to see that "a tube-shaped light beam, about [twenty-five centimetres] in diameter, was coming down from above onto the roof of the car and passing through the metal panelling."

On this and other occasions, they managed to take numerous photographs which they claim that their newspaper later sold to "a North-American group."

On another night while trying to use flash equipment to photograph one of these craft "the UFO emitted such a vivid beam of light that it smashed the windscreen" of their car. (Giese, 1996)

Several newspapers started to write that the alleged UFOs were weather balloons, or secrets satellites, although there was no possible reason to think that. Local authorities were of course extremely angry because of such articles. Elói Santos, councilman of the old Enclosure for bullfighting stated:

"It is not possible to deny that Belém is, today, a frightened city. We are not technicians, and we do not argue with the conclusion of the authorities. But we did surprise them with declarations of the witnesses who saw light crossing their roofs to penetrate in their skin, removing a little of blood and leaving visible marks of needles and burnings on their epidermis."

Mosquiero 1 Mosquiero image 2

During the "Chupa-chupa" wave, many new "sighting zones" emerged, such as Pinheiro and São Bento in the State of Maranhão, and Viseu and Bragança in the State of Pará. Some areas indeed reached such a 'level of saturation' that rarely a single night passed without UFO sightings.

One of these "ufological epicentres" was over the bay called the Baía do Sol (Bay of the Sun) and had a direct effect upon the Island of Mosqueiro. Mosqueiro is one of the most important of the islands, and it is the biggest, belonging to the municipality of Belém.

Public concern was immense, all the men banding together at night to organize watches, with bonfires and fireworks, thinking these would deter the craft. But nothing seemed to stop the UFOs, not even the Air Force’s film men and their cameras - and even less the journalists from the Estado do Pará!

There were frequent and regular sightings of mother-ships, probes, and flying saucers, all performing incredible manoeuvers over the Bay.

A 61-year-old widow, Elisa da Silva, residing on rua do Bacari, was one of the witnesses in that year (1977). One night, from her house, she saw a flying saucer appear. Vivid white light came from small windows or apertures on it. Seen from below, she said, it seemed quite dark and quite flat. It vanished towards the South, in total silence.

In the opinion of some of the members of the GUA (Amazonian Ufological Group) based in Belém, there exists, or there did exist for a considerable time, at some point beneath the Baía do Sol ("Bay of the Sun") a concealed base for extraterrestrial probe craft. Such an idea would account for the constant appearances, in recent years, of unidentified flying objects over the region.

In 1981, one woman who had been exposed to the UFO beams in Colares died, although it is not clear that her death was clearly related to the attack.

In 1986, not far from Colares, two persons on Crab Island were discovered "badly decomposed by heat" amid numerous sightings of balls of fire in the sky; cause of death "not known" in either case.

Same area, different time: a "ball of fire" seriously burned three men out cutting wood on Crab Island; one of the woodchoppers died.

One of the two survivors, Edmundo, had a gaping electrical-type burn injury on the side of his chest, an almost perfect replica of the chest burn suffered by Jack Angel in Georgia in 1974.

In 1993, again in Colares, a 32-year-old missionary and a 40-year-old domestic worker died, a month apart, as a result of close encounters with UFO; according to Ufologist Bob Pratt, these women were "both burned on the throat and the chest, as were most of the other people the doctor treated."

Said Pratt: "I know of about ten deaths that have some connection with UFO close encounters."

According to the USAF, there is not one proof of the reality of UFOs, and there is no evidence that they can be a danger. According to the skeptics... According to the skeptics? To tell the truth, skeptics never express anything in such cases. And the majority of the general public does not know about such cases.

Continue with Colares Island, Part 2.



"Extraterrestrial Vampires in the Amazon Region of Brazil: Part II", British Flying Saucer Review, Gordon Creighton, editor, translation of Chapter IV from the Portuguese book of that name by Dr Daniel Rebisso Giese (1996).

"Confrontations," book by Jacques Vallée.

Untitled report, by an unnamed agency of the French Ministry of Defense.

Investigation report by Daniel Rebisso Gliese.

THE UFO CASEBOOK Domain is owned and operated by Casebook Productions.

Legal: The names, UFO Casebook, UFO Casebook Productions, and the UFO Casebook logo are registered with the proper agencies of the United States patent and copyright offices. Any use of these names or logo without the expressed written consent of owner B J Booth is prohibited by American and International law. © 2010

Editor B. J. Booth