UFO Casebook headgraphic


UFO Casebook Magazine Issue 414, Issue date, 07-05-10

(Published: 9:57 AM 7/1/2010)

Argentina: The 1968 "Night Visitor"
Published: 1:26 PM 6/29/2010

Venturing into the dark vaults of South American UFO lore, Contributing Editor Guillermo Gimenez brings us the story of a major CE-3 of a kind reported elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking Americas in the 20th century.

Argentina: The Night Visitor (The Pretzel CE-3)

By Daniel J. López and Luis Burgos

From the incomparable 1968 Argentinean – and worldwide – UFO wave, I remember that one of the most widely known and controversial cases involved an encounter between a young woman and a strange entity in the mountain ranges of Córdoba. Much has been said since then: that it was a hoax with the purpose of attracting tourists, that the protagonist herself confected the story, to a media-driven creation. Even today, naysayers hiding behind curtains will have a field day with it.

The fact of the matter is that I was unable to travel to the site to interview the witness. But in 1986, 18 years after the “contact” experience, I assigned researcher Daniel Jose Lopez of FAO, Bs.As., to reinvestigate the case. And the trip yielded results, since the eyewitness interview presented fundamental evidence suggesting that “something indeed happened at the time.”

A story that was consistent, detailed and beyond all whimsical contexts emerged from the woman’s mouth. She was 37 years old at the time, nearly two decades later. Let’s take a look...

Villa Carlos Paz is a classic Argentinean tourist destination. It is located some 30 kilometers west of Cordoba. There we can find the “La Cuesta” motel, along Route No. 20 and some two kilometers from the center of town. It is owned by Mr. Pedro J. Pretzel. His daughter Maria Elodia, 19, helps her father in running the establishment.

Maria Elodia Pretzel is a determined young woman, well thought of in her community, and who is not given to reading science fiction. Early that year, she underwent surgery. After recovery, she assisted in managing the hotel. But her life changed one morning in June 1968: at around 1:00 a.m. on the 14th, Mr. Pedro Pretzel was driving back home along Route 20 when he saw “two large red lights over the road, too far apart to be the taillights of another car” some 50 meters from his motel.

Finding the front door open was also disconcerting, as he knew his daughter to be quite conscientious about such things. As soon as he entered the house, he headed for her bedroom, only to find the young woman spread out on the bed, unconscious. What had happened there?

After bidding two guests farewell, Maria Elodia went to the kitchen and found that a considerable amount of light was pouring into the hallway. Thinking that someone had left the living room lights on, she went in and was faced with a strange and extraordinary visitor: a large figure, standing in excess of 2 meters, blonde, hair combed backward with a friendly facial expression, stood a short distance away.

He was clad in some sort of jumpsuit, light blue, covering his body from his neck down to his feet. Small luminous rays poured from his fingertips. In his left hand he carried a crystal orb that emitted bright beams of light. In his right hand he bore a ring, almost a gauntlet.

According to the young woman, every time the being raised the gauntlet, “it was as though he himself rose into the air and remained suspended...”

At that time, Maria Elodia felt herself weaken and fall down, but when the entity lowered the gauntlet, she felt her strength returning. The being advanced toward her with a kindly, calm manner, moving his lips slowly, speaking a strange, melodic language that reminded her of Japanese. He said something like “cling-gling-crish.”

At a given moment, the young woman felt a sensation of “bubbles in her head” and a feeling of perspiration, but when she touched her neck, she was perfectly dry.

Maria Elodia was able to dash for the safety of the counter, even as the entity moved the orb constantly and tried to get near her. She claims that she could hear, in the recesses of her mind, a message that repeated: “Don’t be afraid...”

Suddenly, the bright orb went out. The stranger stopped, spun around and withdrew toward the outside door. As he turned, the experiencer was able to see a kind of skirt around him, but the truly uncanny event occurred as he approached the door: it opened by itself and closed as he departed.

From that moment on, Maria Elodia, who had backed away, remembered nothing more. A few moments later, her father arrived.

Pretzel, Elodia Dr. Hugo V. Vaggione, 33, knows the young woman well, as he is the Pretzel family’s physician. According to the doctor, she is a serious, somewhat introverted and very responsible person. He diagnosed her as being in a “pronounced state of nerves” after the ordeal, due to emotional impact, but far from a breakdown.

She was perfectly coordinated in her statements, and her blood pressure was normal. Finding her mentally and physically sound, the doctor can find no reason for deception or hallucination...

While the Pretzel Case does not present the physical evidence so longingly sought by everyone (footprints, remains, etc.) unofficial versions stated that traces of radioactivity were found in the motel’s carport and in areas where the “visitor” entered. There are only four (4) cases in Argentina where radiation has been detected.

This type of humanoid, prevalent in the 1960s and which is rarely seen nowadays, yielded its place to the ubiquitous Greys, which appear to have co-opted most of the entity case histories. There was, however, another close encounter in Argentina with an occupant resembling the one in the Villa Carlos Paz incident.

This was the famous encounter at La Florida, in San Luis, where a tall figure, similarly clad, appeared before three fishermen on the night of February 4-5, 1978. Regarding the correlation of cases, that night (June 13-14, 1968) involved numerous UFO and humanoid sightings throughout various provinces in Argentina.

Right there, in the vicinity of the “La Cuesta” motel, local residents reported seeing “two very powerful red lights” in flight around 22:00 hours on the evening of June 13.

If the night visitor, who arrived from who knows where, waited for the last couple to check out of the motel before entering... did the imminent arrival of Ms. Pretzel’s father interrupt any subsequent actions (the orb blinking out and the entity leaving)?

These questions will remain unanswered in this memorable case.

(Translation (c) 2010, S. Corrales, Institute of Hispanic Ufology.

Special thanks to Guillermo Gimenez)

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/argentinanightvisitor.html

source & references:

Submitted to the UFO Casebook



2010 - Encounter in Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Map of Location
Published: 5:50 PM 6/30/2010

Victoria, Melbourne, Australia - 05-10-01

2001 10 May coming home from a fishing trip from the Lake Eldon, Victoria, Melbourne, Australia


Coming back from our fishing trip from Lake Eldon on the date stated, 30 minutes into the trip, we headed into the Black Spur, a 16 km winding road through a mountain range.

We were 3/4 of the way through and I was sitting in the passenger sit - I happened to look up through the sun roof of the car and saw a massive light (which I thought was a planet) as it seem to follow us like one would, but looking through the tree tops I noticed it changing colors and flashing.

At the time I was thinking, "This is strange," but said nothing to the other people in the car. As we just finished our trip through the Black Spur and into the first town called Healesville (will email the route we took in email), we turned left onto Healsville Koo Wee Rup Road.

I looked out to my left and to my amazement over the farmland, which was a strawberry growing farm, this light / orb from nowhere just lit up into a bright green colour, then 50 meters after traveling up the road, I watched the orb turn into a large triangle with a small triangle in the middle.

I was stunned - I couldn't believe my eyes, and this is where it gets strange.

We keep driving up this road with me locked onto the craft, but I couldn't say anything. I looked at the driver: he was totally oblivious to what was going on.

The person in the back sit was sitting behind the driver seat and also couldn't see it. I still could not say anything and looked back at this craft and then I was totally transfixed on it for the next 20 kilometers.

The craft moved like nothing I have ever seen before in my life - the three lights that made up the large part of the craft spun clockwise, and the smaller part spun anti- clockwise.

The craft never went past me in the front seat, it would drop off and fall way back then speed right up, like it was playing a game.

All the six lights on the craft were changing from pink, green, red, orange, yellow, blue, white, purple, aqua, and a dark orange. At this point I wasn't sure what to do as I still couldn't talk like it had a hold over me.

As we were coming into the next town of Woori Yallock, I watched the craft turn off all the lights and I could till see it, but it was a dark purple colour, almost like it had copied the night sky colour.

We went through the town of Woori Yallock and headed on the Healsville Koo Wee Rup Road, mind you, the strange thing was that the road had no traffic on it, we were the only car.

As we headed towards the next town of Yellingbo, the craft lit up again in the triangle formation, but this time it was no higher than two fully grown gum trees, and no more than 40 meters to my left.

I could then see the craft was a solid object with windows at one point. Before we got into Yellingbo, the craft had to go up higher as there are main power lines to the left in the paddocks, but this would have been 2 or three meters tops, but it was flying right next to me and I could see steam and movement inside the craft.

At this point I started to really get worried as there was no one else around.

Depicton As went through the town of Yellingbo and still on the Healsville Koo Wee Rup Road, the craft did something I properly can't even describe: it stopped and I watched it change shape again.

It started to get longer and then I lost it sight of it for about 20 or 30 seconds because of the trees, but I could see that there was a bright orange /red hue colour in the sky.

We then came to an open clearing, and then I said to the driver we were being followed.

To my relief, he looked in the rearview mirror, and said there’s no one behind us, and then the both kind of looked at me like, "Is this guy OK?"

The first thing I said was, "... not behind you mate," and then I said, "Do you believe in UFOs, look at that thing!"

Both the driver and the person in the back of the car freaked right out and said, "What the ... is that?"

The driver slowed the car down to 10 k/p/h, and then I said, "Stop the car!"

I made sure I looked at the time when we got out of the car - it was 7.23 PM.

He pulled off the road, and then we watched the massive craft fly right over the top of us, but this time it was not a triangle shape, but a long cigar-shape, it was just off the top of the gum trees, which would make it 40 - 60 ft off the ground.

I felt as if I could almost touch it. I can remember the two guys with me saying,"OH, MY GOD."

The UFO was a red-orange colour, and looked like it was of a liquid consistency like a lava lamp. There was not a sound coming from the UFO.

On the front of the UFO was a set of lights that panned left to right with all the colours I described before, and then there was a massive large, white circle light (bright enough to cast a shadow on the tree tops).

As the front part of the craft passed over, I looked back and saw that there still was part of it that was still in the paddock. This thing was huge, (the road would be 6 meters wide, the front part of the craft was 1/2 of the way into the paddock). It took more than 2 minutes to fully pass over us, and at the back of the UFO was another massive circle, white light.

The UFO then stopped dead once it passed over the road and into the paddock, and then we watched it change shape right in front of us, and the only way I can put into words what I saw, it was as if it fold up, we could hear three, loud bangs and then it was an orb shape again (green colour).

Then it picked up speed and was still low to the ground, it looked as if it was heading to the MT. Dandenong area.

The driver said, "Let's get out of here right now."

We all jumped in the car and raced home as fast as we could. We raced through Cockatoo and then through Emerald. We got on to Wellington Road, and then turned left onto Belgrave Hallam Roadl.

As we were coming towards Lysterfield Lake, there are more main power lines that run through the apple tree farms, and to all or our shock I said, "There it is," and the UFO was sitting just above the power lines not moving (after all these years I think it must have been charging up, using our electricity)

We raced home and I went charging inside asking for my dad, and they said he was next door so I went next door, and said, "UFO."

They all came racing outside, and the UFO passed right over our house, but was white in colour and 5 other people saw this.

As the orb passed over the house, 3 of us ran up to the top of the hill, we watched the UFO stop and it started pulsating with all different colours (this was about a 5 minute period).

The UFO had seemed to gain a higher altitude, but was no more than 600 meters from us, one of the guys got the UFO on his camcorder but the footage isn't the best.

It then began to move slowly and I said maybe we should get in the car and follow it and they said, "Yeah yeah let's follow it," but the UFO started to move at a faster rate and before too long it was a speck on the horizon.

It gave off one large green / purple flash and was gone, and we all said, "WOW."

The UFO was headed S/SW going towards Port Phillip Bay/ Western Port Bay area. In total 8 different people saw this object.

I am 100% sure that what we saw was not from this planet and was of an alien origin.


permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/melbourneaustralia2001.html

source & references:

Submitted to the UFO Casebook

CF-18 Fighter Planes Investigate Orangeville, Canada Airspace
Published: 12:39 PM 6/30/2010

By Banner Staff

Orangeville, Canada

Two CF-18 fighter planes flew over Orangeville last night investigating a "possible unknown aircraft." Two CF-18 fighter planes flew over Orangeville last weekend investigating a “possible unknown aircraft.”

The sight of two CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft flying low over Orangeville Saturday night (June 26) at about 8:40 PM quickly became the topic of conversation on social networking sites.

“Fighter jets flying low over Orangeville’s west end ... what’s with that?” posted one woman on Twitter.

“Fighter jets just scared the pants off of Orangevillians tonight, on their way to the G20 protests in Toronto,” another woman wrote.

It wasn’t long before photos and videos were posted and people started speculating on the unusual sight. Residents reported seeing the planes fly overhead two or three times, flying at low altitudes.

Many people commented on how loud the planes were, at first thinking it was the sound of a plane about to crash.

When contacted by The Banner, a representative for the Canadian Forces said the fighter planes were sent after the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) detected a “possible unknown aircraft” on its radar in the vicinity of Orangeville.

The airspace above town was part of a restricted zone implemented for the G8/G20 summits.

“The fighters investigated the radar contact, but it eventually disappeared; no aircraft was found,” Holly-Anne Brown, public affairs officer for the Canadian Forces, said in an email. “A CH-124 Sea King helicopter and the local police were also engaged to investigate further.”

Insp. Mike Robinson of Orangeville police said local officers weren’t directly involved.

“They made contact here, but it was just simply a phone call to say there would be some activity in the area,” he said of the fighter planes. “It was a courtesy call.”

Although she couldn’t provide specific details due to “operational security reasons,” Brown added that despite the fact they didn’t locate the unknown aircraft, NORAD determined through the investigation that it didn’t pose a threat.

According to Ron Singer, spokesperson for Nav Canada, radar can detect a wide range of objects in the air, from planes and helicopters to gliders and weather balloons. He’s unsure what was detected in this instance.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/orangevilleplanes.html

source & references:


Pros and Cons: An Eastern Orthodox Perspective on Extraterrestial Life
Published: 12:29 PM 6/30/2010

"To be sure, there is nothing in Orthodox theological tradition that would affirm the possibility of life on other planets. In fact, to the Biblical writers, to the Church Fathers, and to the framers of the Orthodox liturgical texts, this would be a nonquestion.

The geocentric attitude of the tradition essentially has no interest in life elsewhere, due to the actual portrayal of Creation in the Biblical texts and due also to the lack of knowledge in earlier ages about the extent, structure, and shape of the universe.

This ‘‘structure’’ does not have a place for extraterrestrial life, mainly because it does not imagine, nor can it possibly conceive of, the possibility of such life.

It must, however, be remembered that this is the result of ignorance about the wider universe, not a voluntary decision to reject such a possibility. At the same time—and very importantly—that same Biblical portrait of the universe, when combined with modern scientific knowledge, need not preclude the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

Although all other knowledge beside the reality of God is of lesser importance for the Orthodox theological synthesis, scientific knowledge continues to reveal—even on a very rudimentary level—the secrets of a universe theologically apprehended as the work of the divine Creator.

Eastern Orthodox theology can comfortably embrace that knowledge as a guiding light on its journey towards the Divine Source of all being. . . .

This establishes, within an Eastern Orthodox mind-set, a much more flexible attitude, one that would be readily able to accept all extraterrestrial life-forms."

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/prosandcons.html

source & references:


UFO Enthusiasts Demand Disclosure from 10 Downing Street
Published: 5:33 PM 6/30/2010

The things you say when you're on the stump and on a roll in an election campaign and then someone throws you a curve-ball.

David ‘Dave’ Cameron was at a public meeting in Tynemouth, North Tyneside in February when a member of the audience asked he would, if elected, “lift the veil of secrecy” over UFOs? Cameron, hedging his bets, responded that he had "no idea whether any of the sightings which have taken place or whether any incidents which have taken place have any basis in truth.

"I would be quite happy to give you a guarantee that if I became prime minister I would always be entirely open and frank about these things.”

So now the coalition has landed the emergency budget on us and starting inquiring into British complicity in torture isn’t it about time Cameron kept his promise about UFOs?

Two Scottish UFOlogists, Malcolm Robinson of Strange Phenomena Investigations, and Councillor Billy Buchanan, of flying saucer hotspot Bonnybridge, think so and will be protesting outside 10 Downing Street at 1pm on Monday 5th July to remind David Cameron of his pledge.

The two have been indefatigable in pursuing Prime Ministers in the name of UFO truth, Malcolm writes on his Facebook page: “Councillor Buchanan and I initially requested UFO Disclosure from former Prime Minister John Major, that fell on deaf ears, then we tried Tony Blair when he was elected, that too fell on deaf ears.”

How about fellow Scot Gordon Brown? “I believe Billy tried with Gordon Brown; that too failed to materialise.”

Londonist has taken a great interest in local UFOs in the past and is looking forward to this protest. Of course the National Archives have been releasing all their data on UFO reports in searchable PDFs with highlights, but our protestors don’t believe that is 'the truth' and that when one wants to know something, get thee to a Prime Minister and not some lowly archivist.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2010/downingstreet.html

source & references:


Archived Files

Roswell Main

The Roswell UFO Crash (1)

"Roswell," the very mention of the word brings images of a crashed UFO, aliens, government cover-up, autopsies, hidden debris, guarded charred bodies, and weather balloons. In the history of UFO reports, no case has received the world-wide attention as the Roswell event of 1947. Not only did the alleged crash of a flying saucer create mass coverage at the time of the event, but remains today as an often discussed case by which all other cases are judged. So many books and articles have been written about Roswell, it is not an easy task to write another, but I feel that no UFO enthusiast cannot include it among his comments. The Roswell event is the cornerstone of UFO research. The case offers everything one could imagine; a crash of some flying craft, direct, hands on testimony of witnesses who handled crash debris, government cover-up and secrecy, and most of all a list of participants which is generally listed at around 500 first and secondhand testimonials.

Ironically, the alleged crash story originally died as quickly as it began. It would be many years before UFO researchers refueled the fire behind its enormous potential. Most all of us are familiar with the famous Roswell headline stating that the Army had captured a "flying saucer," and then the retraction a few hours later, substituting a balloon for the crashed saucer. At the time of the original event, a sense of naivety and trust gave birth to a rapid, quiet acceptance of the retraction, and there the event died. But, fortunately, it was resurrected in 1976, and has kept pace with all other events of the last 50+ years. It would be January 1976, when ufologists William Moore, and Stanton R. Friedman were mulling over some interview notes from two witnesses whom Friedman had met with. A man and a woman, who both had knowledge of a crashed saucer in July 1947 in Corona, New Mexico were the key witnesses.

A retired Air Force officer, Major Jesse A. Marcel asserted that he had first hand involvement in the crash debris, and the Air Force cover-up. The woman was Lydia Sleppy, who had been employed at an Albuquerque radio station KOAT. She claimed that the military had covered-up the story of a crashed saucer, and the bodies of "little men," who were aboard the craft. She also claimed that the Air Force had literally stopped the sending of a teletype news report of the incident.

The USA Military had announced to the world that it had captured a flying saucer on a remote ranch in Corona, and then about four hours later corrected the story, saying that what was found was just a weather balloon with a radar reflector kite. We have two stories. Which one is the truth? Though subsequent confirmations of the balloon theory continue, as long as we have firsthand witnesses who defy this explanation, the investigation must continue. Of all of the explanations given to Project Bluebook, it is quite strange that the Roswell story was never mentioned. The story that died so quickly was rarely mentioned from the beginning, the only one, to my knowledge, was in a mid-1950's lecture by UFO enthusiast Frank Edward. It seems that from the beginning, a grass roots group of believers would perpetuate this grand story. When we solve the puzzle of the many UFO reports, it will be due to this grass roots movement. The truth is hard to kill.

It would be June 24, 1947, when the term, "flying saucer" was coined by pilot Kenneth Arnold. He used this term to describe UFOs flying over Mr. Ranier, and only a couple of weeks later, the phrase was used by the Air Force to explain what had been found in Corona, New Mexico. The alleged crash debris was flown to Eight Army Air Force Headquarters in Ft. Worth, Texas, and somehow between the time that Jesse Marcel Sr. had handled the "other worldly" material and its arrival in Ft. Worth, the strange material had lost its luster, and became just a weather balloon. The Air Force had effectively murdered the eye witness accounts, and made fools of all who were involved. Marcel would categorically state that the debris he held in his hands, and showed to his family, was not the same material shown in photos of the "balloon wreckage."

What happened to the saucer debris? An uncertified, but controversial document might provide an answer. Supposedly a brief prepared for then President-elect Dwight D. Eisenhower, this document was authored on November 18, 1952. It asserts that on September 24, 1947, President Harry S. Truman ordered the genesis of the highly top-secret "Operation Majestic-12," to study the remains of the Roswell crash. These papers would arrive in a plain manilla envelope, postmarked Albuquerque, in the post of Los Angeles television producer Jaime Shandera in December 1984. In the early part of 1987, another copy was given to Timothy Good, a British ufologist. Good released it to the British press in May. These documents caused quite a stir, but their authenticity cannot be established beyond doubt. The jury is still out on the MJ-12 papers, but many ufologists view it as a hoax. The issue itself is not insurmountable, however, as a huge amount of evidence still remains to establish the Roswell crash as a reality.

The Roswell saga actually began in Silver City, New Mexico on June 25. Dr. R. F. Sensenbaugher, a dentist, reported sighting a saucer-shaped UFO fly over, that was about one-half the size of the full moon. Two days later, in Pope, New Mexico, W. C. Dobbs reported a white, glowing object flying overhead, not too far from the White Sands missile range. On the same day, Captain E. B. Detchmendy reported to his commanding officer that he saw a white, glowing UFO pass over the missile range. Two days later, on June 29, Rocket expert C. J. Zohn and three of his technicians, who were stationed at White Sands, watched a giant silver disc moving northward over the desert. On July 2, a UFO was tracked at three separate installations; Alamogordo, White Sands, and Roswell. In Roswell, on the same day, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Wilmot saw a UFO. They report its appearance as "two inverted saucers faced mouth to mouth," moving at a high rate of speed over their house. Enter rancher Mac Brazel.

Mac Brazel

Mac Brazel

The events of Roswell began on either July 2 or July 4 (there is some disagreement here). A throwback to western days, William W. "Mac" Brazel, a sheep rancher, would etch his name forever into UFO history, a designation that he neither desired, nor appreciated. A common working man, Brazel was foreman of the Foster Ranch in Lincoln County, near Corona, New Mexico. Brazel was a family man, but his wife and children lived in Tularosa, near Alamogordo. The reason for this arrangement was so his children could attend better schools than they would at Corona. Brazel stayed in an older house on the ranch, where he tended sheep, and the general chores of the ranch. He was a simple man, content with his job, family, and his life. Mac would be thrust into the limelight for a brief period of time, and ultimately regret ever reporting what he was about to discover on the range of the Foster Ranch.

An evening thunderstorm was raging at the close of another workday, The storm was highlighted by numerous bolts of lightning. These summer storms were not uncommon for these parts, but this evening Mac noticed something different.. a sound, like an explosion mingled with the typical sounds of a storm. Two of Mac's children were staying with him that night at his farm house. Mac retired with his two children, and temporarily forgot about the sounds of that night. The next day's sun brought Mac out again to ride the fences, and check on his sheep. He was accompanied that day with a seven-year-old neighbor boy, William D. "Dee" Proctor, who often rode with Mac.

As they rode into the open field, ahead of them they noticed an area about a quarter of a mile long and several hundred feet wide, covered with debris of some type. The debris was composed of small pieces of a shiny, metallic material, a material that Mac had never seen before. The sheep would not cross the fragmented pieces, and they had to be taken the long way around that day. Because of the curious nature of the debris, Mac picked up some of it and carried it back to store in a shed. Little did he know the significance of his find.

One of his children, Bessie Brazel recalled: "There was what appeared to be pieces of heavily waxed paper and a sort of aluminum-like foil. Some of these pieces had something like numbers and lettering on them, but there were no words you were able to make out. Some of the metal-foil pieces had a sort of tape stuck to them, and when these were held to the light they showed what looked like pastel flowers or designs. Even though the stuff looked like tape it could not be peeled off or removed at all."

"[The writing] looked like numbers mostly, at least I assumed them to be numbers. They were written out like you would write numbers in columns to do an addition problem. But they didn't look like the numbers we use at all. What gave me the idea they were numbers, I guess, was the way they were all ranged out in columns."

"No, it was definitely not a balloon. We had seen weather balloons quite a lot, both on the ground and in the air. We had even found a couple of Japanese-style balloons that had come down in the area once. We had also picked up a couple of those thin rubber weather balloons with instrument packages. This was nothing like that. I have never seen anything resembling this sort of thing before,- or since..."

Later that afternoon, Mac took young Dee Proctor back home, a journey of about 10 miles. He took along a piece of the debris that he had found, and showed it to Dee's parents, Floyd, and Loretta. Mac tried to get the Proctors to go back with him, and look at the strange material strewn in the fields.

Floyd Proctor would later state: "[He said] it wasn't paper because he couldn't cut it with his knife, and the metal was different from anything he had ever seen. He said the designs looked like the kind of stuff you would find on firecracker wrappers...some sort of figures all done up in pastels, but not writing like we would do it."

Loretta Proctor remembered: "The piece he brought looked like a kind of tan, light-brown plastic...it was very lightweight, like balsa wood. It wasn't a large piece, maybe about four inches long, maybe just larger than a pencil."
"We cut on it with a knife and would hold a match on it, and it wouldn't burn. We knew it wasn't wood. It was smooth like plastic, it didn't have real sharp corners, kind of like a dowel stick. Kind of dark tan. It didn't have any grain...just smooth."

"We should have gone [to look at the debris field], but gas and tires were expensive then. We had our own chores, and it would have been twenty miles."

Jesse Marcel Sr.

Jesse Marcel Sr.

The first hint that the debris could be "not of this world" would come the next night from Mac's uncle, Hollis Wilson. Mac told Hollis about his find, and Hollis urged Mac to report the findings, since there had been reports of "flying saucers" in the area as of late. On July 6, Mac was going to Roswell to strike up a deal for a new pickup truck. He took along some of the debris, and stopped off at the Chaves County Sheriff's Office and spoke to George Wilcox. The story of the find was not significant to Wilcox until he actually handled a piece of the silvery material. Wilcox telephoned the Roswell Army Air Field, and spoke to one Major Jesse A. Marcel, who was the base intelligence officer. Marcel told the Sheriff he would come into Roswell and talk to Brazel about his find. Word of the goings on began to spread rapidly in the community, and soon Mac was talking to radio station KGFL about the incident. Mac told the station what he knew over the telephone.

Marcel and Brazel met at the Sheriff's office. Mac told Marcel what he knew, and showed him a piece of debris. Marcel reported the results of his interview to Colonel William H. Blanchard back at Roswell Army Base. A decision was made for Brazel to go out to the site, and investigate for himself. Marcel would take his old Buick, and Army Counter Intelligence Corps officer Sheridan Cavitt accompanied him in a Jeep all-terrain vehicle. Following Marcel back to the ranch, it was too late that day to visit the site, so they all three stayed in Mac's ranch house. After a dinner of beans, the three headed to the site the next morning. After a brief look around, Mac left Marcel and Cavitt, returning to his chores.

Continue with Roswell UFO Crash, Part 2

UFO Casebook Home Page