UFO Casebook headgraphic

(Go to text (non-flash) menu)

Web hosting

Ad rate graphix

Ancient Astronauts

Mystery Casebook

Casebook Forum

UFO Video

UFO Casebook on Youtube

Click for Archives


UFO Casebook Magazine Issue 574, Issue date, 08-12-13

New York Skies: Black Triangles over New York
UFO Depiction
Published: 11:40 AM 8/10/2013

By Cheryl Costa

Triangular UFOs have been in the media over the past 20 years or so. Television shows have reported cases from the USA and Western Europe.

These craft are usually about the size of a football field, being about two stories thick. They typically are reported as having three major glowing orbs on the underside.

They are usually a non-reflective black, but they’ve also been reported as glowing in orange or yellow. The strangest element is that most reports say that they are unnervingly silent.

Central New York is not without its reports of these craft. Among the earliest known Upstate reports of a black triangle craft was in January 1979 in Herkimer. One winter’s night, a snowmobiler who lived in the country was going to visit a friend five miles away.

He states that suddenly it became very quiet; he couldn’t hear his sled’s engine, and the snowmobile’s light went out.

He looked up and could make out the outline of a huge black triangle blotting out the stars. It had no lights and was silent.

He says that it took about two minutes for it to pass overhead. It was perhaps 100 feet off the ground, and when it passed under the high tension wires, arcs began jumping from the power lines to the top of the craft.

He watched it continue moving away over a hill and then out of sight. When he got home, nobody believed him.

There was a sighting a few years later, in October 1982, in Owasco, near Owasco Lake. In October 2010, one was reported in Skaneateles, observed by people at a football game. In December 2011, near Sylvan Beach, a family observed two of these craft. Several of these triangle craft were observed in Syracuse:

One was seen over Hiawatha Lake moving northwest in June 2012 in the zero-dark thirty hours.

This year, a small cluster of sightings of black triangles happened in May in the New York City area.

The most recent report was logged in Earlville, on July 15. A young woman was called outside by her excited boyfriend. She reports that he pointed up in the sky and some distance from them was a huge, orange triangle. They watched it for a few minutes as it slowly moved away and disappeared.

A curious aspect regarding these black triangles is the frequency of their sightings. When I examined the sighting data for the 20 years between 1979 through 2000, there were a total of 34 sighting reports for New York. Yet from 2001 to 2013, the number of black triangle sightings has more than tripled.

In the past 12 years, the reported sightings of black triangles in the state have jumped to more than 120 events – and 2013 is not over.

The names of witnesses will be omitted to protect their privacy.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2013/newyorkskies2.html

source & references:


graphic - www.ufocasebook.com

Unknown Object Makes Erratic Manuevers in Kentucky Skies
UFO Depiction
Published: 6:40 AM 8/8/2013

Hodgenville, Kentucky - 08-06-13

I was on my uncle's back porch smoking a cigarette, looking at the sky because it is pitch black on his property.

I was looking for UFOs because in Florida there is too much light pollution. I noticed several planes in the area because it is near Fort Knox.

I kept noticing what appeared to be stars darting around the sky. I focused on a particularly bright one and it began to move.

I couldn’t tell exactly how far from Earth it was, whether it was in our atmosphere or just above it, but I could make out the object very clearly regardless.

The object would come to a complete stop in the sky before darting either forwards, backwards, or sideways, and then returning to a complete stop.

It seemed to be pulsating, with every color in the spectrum being emitted from the craft. I don’t know exactly how large the craft was, but it appeared to be roughly the size of a small plane.

After it would move, a faint trail could be seen behind it briefly before it dissipated. I have been waiting to see a UFO for about a decade now, and I was freaking out.

I ran inside and told my mom, "Hurry, come outside right now, I have to show you something."

I came back outside with her and the object was still near the same spot where I had seen it before. I told my Mom to look at the light and follow it closely.

She observed the same thing that I did. She said it looked like, "minnows in a stream." I noticed several other objects in the surrounding sky imitating the same behavior. My mother also saw them.

I am 27 years old with excellent eyesight, and she is 59 with pretty bad eyesight, and she could still clearly see this craft moving in the sky.

It was most certainly NOT a plane or jet or helicopter or any craft known to the people of this world. After observing the craft for several minutes, we went inside.

I came back outside about a half hour later, and the original craft I had been watching was gone, but I noticed several others. I was overwhelmed with excitement and did not sleep at all that night.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2013/hodgenvillekentucky080613.html

source & references:


graphic - www.ufocasebook.com

Three Unknown Objects Observed over Coral Springs, Florida
UFO Depiction
Published: 11:47 AM 8/10/2013

Coral Springs, Florida - 08-07-13

I was washing my car; I figured it was a better idea than to do it during the day in the Florida heat.

Something (don't know what) prompted me to look into the sky to the east. When I looked I saw a single bright light and then two lights following being it.

I know that planes are supposed to have at least three miles between them and found it odd that these three were so close together.

I called my husband over to look with me and he too said ("what the ____ is that?")

We stared into the sky at the object(s) for about three minutes observing that it had no blinking lights. About two minutes into our observation, the first light stopped and appeared to hover in midair.

My husband pointed out that the clouds were swirling around the first single light very quickly while the two lights behind were stationary.

A helicopter flew over the horizon (below the three lights in question) with red and blue flashing lights. The first light in question grew brighter and seconds later all three were gone.

They literally were just gone; no traveling through the sky was noticed by my husband and myself. During the sighting we did not hear any engine sounds; only that of the helicopter.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2013/coralspringsfl080713.html

source & references:


graphic - www.ufocasebook.com

Michigan Has Fair Share of UFOs, but Ohio Takes the Cake
UFO Depiction
Published: 11:35 AM 8/10/2013

Michelle Nelson, Michigan Radio Newsroom


If you are a baby-boomer who grew up in Michigan, chances are good you remember a particular point in time when you were out in your backyard, peering into the night sky, searching for UFOs.

For one week in March of 1966, Michigan was awash with reports of UFO sightings. Scores of people called police to report suspicious items in the sky. Ultimately, the Air Force dismissed these sightings as nothing more than "swamp gas," causing then-Congressman Gerald Ford to fire off an indignant statement, declaring that people deserved a better explanation than something as laughable as "swamp gas."

Rudi Lindner is a professor of History and Astronomy at the University of Michigan. He teaches a class called "Discovery of the Universe" that includes the history of UFOs.

“Michigan, I would say is about average [in the number of UFO sightings],” said Lindner. “One of the difficulties is Michigan is the second cloudiest state in the union, so therefore there’s a selection effect.”

According to Lindner, Ohio is the leader in UFO reports, and even has the first report of a death related to alien action.

“For anybody who is associated with the University of Michigan, it is of course a little bit easier to accept the notion that aliens might have some special relationship to the state of Ohio and its people,” he said.

"For anybody who is associated with the University of Michigan, it is of course a little bit easier to accept the notion that aliens might have some special relationship to the state of Ohio and its people."

The problem with UFOs is that there are no observatories that search for them. The people who see them are not trained observers.

“One of the great difficulties you have is in figuring out the speed or the size of the object when you have no good way of measuring its distance, and that has always been the bane of reports of UFOs,” said Lindner.

University of Michigan graduate Morris Jessup has played a large part in UFO awareness. He wrote a book in the 1950s called “the Case for the UFO,” which sold well. He went on to write two more books, as well as appear on TV.

Jessup died in 1959 under mysterious circumstances. A question arose as to whether he died of natural causes, committed suicide, or was killed by government agencies. Looking for answers, a man named Gray Barker held séances to contact him.

"As a Michigan graduate, we not only have hundreds of thousands of Michigan graduates, members of the Alumni Association... but we also have an alumnus doing rather well on the planet Venus.

So I say, take that, Harvard!"

“In a number of these séances, Jessup appeared, announced that he was not dead, he had been abducted by aliens, he was now living on the planet Venus, was very happy, and really didn’t want to say a lot more,” said Lindner.

“As a Michigan graduate, we not only have hundreds of thousands of Michigan graduates, members of the alumni association... but we also have an alumnus doing rather well on the planet Venus. So I say, take that, Harvard!”

According to John Mack’s research done at the Harvard Medical School, about one in 3,000 Americans claims to have been abducted by aliens. Put into perspective, the Michigan stadium seats about 109,000 people, so at the next big game there will be 33 abductees in attendance.

Recently, there have not been many UFO sightings in Michigan. Lindner believes that there is an ebb and flow to these reports. Until the reports increase, Lindner will continue to teach his class. And if given the opportunity, Lindner said he would board an alien spacecraft as long as they had cable.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2013/ohiotakescake.html

source & references:


graphic - www.ufocasebook.com

Archived Case of the Week

The Great Michigan UFO Chase of 1966

By Vivian M. Baulch / The Detroit News

Harrick Road, MI
On a quiet day in March, 1966, seven eyewitnesses reported an unidentified flying object maneuvering over Livingston and Washtenaw counties.

Ordinarily, these reports might have been dismissed by officials as the work of cranks. But this time, the seven witnesses WERE officials -- police officers and sheriff's deputies from the two counties.

And their stories were backed up by more than 100 witnesses, including William Van Horn, a civil defense director, and dozens of students who watched the football-shaped object for four hours as it maneuvered near the University of Michigan campus, a nearby airport and a local swamp.

The March 14 sightings caused an uproar and the area went on a wild UFO chase.

Three days later on March 17 two Washtenaw County sheriff's deputies, Sgt. Neil Schneider and Deputy David Fitzpatrick saw three or four red, white and green circular objects oscillating and glowing near Milan about 4 a.m.

They called Willow Run Airport officials who could not confirm with radar.

Two more Washtenaw deputies, BuFord Bushroe and John Foster tried to follow the same type of objects in the northern part of the county on March 20. Livingston and Monroe county residents also reported seeing the objects.

The Detroit News carried the police chase story the next day along with a drawing of a quilted football shaped object with lights, dome and antennae. (It was not maize and blue with a big M on it.)

Dexter patrolman Robert Huniwell said he spotted an object in the sky at Quigley and Brand roads between 9:30 and 9:45 PM.

He said the flying object with red and green flashing lights, came close to the ground, hovered above a scout car and was joined by a second vehicle on its ascent.

Michigan Photo Washtenaw County Sheriff Douglas Harvey ordered all available deputies to the scene. Six patrol cars, two men in each, and three detectives surrounded the area. They later chased a flying object along Island Lake Road without catching it.

Frank Mannor and his family saw the lights from their McGuiness Road farm. "I got within 500 yards of that thing and it looked pyramid-shaped. It had a light here and a light there and what looked like a porthole.

"It wasn't like the pictures of a flying saucer and it had a coral-like surface. I've trapped every hole in this county and I've never seen anything like it."

Mannor said the vehicle, by its own lights, appeared to be the length of a car and had a hazy mist under it as it hung above the ground. Mannor's son, a member of the Dexter High School track team, and Mannor's wife also witnessed the object.

It rose up to the tree tops and waited awhile and fell back to the ground.

It became different colors, white on the ground, blue, then red in the trees, and then came down and changed colors again. It sounded like a ricochet of a bullet, and like a siren, a real high frequency, they said.

Police Chief Robert R. Taylor and Patrolman N.G. Lee came to the farm in response to Mrs. Mannor's call and heard the noise.

"I thought it was an ambulance," Lee said. The chief's son, Robert, 16, also saw the red vehicle in the sky at about 10:30 p.m. "It was going on in the east pretty slow, and then it sped up and went west," he said. "It was flashing red and white."

Michigan Photo Washtenaw County Deputy Sheriff BuFord Bushroe also observed it. "It looked like an arc. It was round. We turned around and started following it through Dexter for five miles. It was headed west and we stopped.

We lost it in the trees. Either the lights went off or it took off with a tremendous burst of speed. It was about 1,500 feet above the ground. It moved along at about 100 mph. We were doing 70 before losing it near Wylie Road."

Carloads of college students from nearby University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan University converged on the area after hearing radio reports of the sightings.

Mannor was asked if it could have been a college prank. He vigorously denied the possibility. "They couldn't rig rigging to it. There was not anything there, There was no way in the world to get out. There were two scout cars on the hill and more at the house."

"I know every pothole in this county," he said. "I've never seen anything like it. There's nothing wrong with my eyes and my son has 20/20 vision. We both can't be wrong."

"My wife says we'll move out of here," he said. "She doesn't like that. I never lock the doors. Nobody ever bothers us."

An Adrian College professor offered the theory that northern lights may be the objects the deputies tried to chase.

On March 22 dozens of residents of Dexter and Hillsdale reported more flying objects emitting strange sounds and lights.

On March 23 a teen from Monroe said he took photos, which looked like a big black blob.

The Air Force sent in Blue Book astronomer and UFO expert Dr. J. Allen Hynek who, after a whirlwind probe that lasted two hours and 45 minutes, dismissed the sightings as "swamp gas."

Hynek quoted a description of marsh gases by Dutch astronomer Minnaert: "The lights resemble tiny flames, sometimes seen right on the ground, sometimes merely floating above it.

"The flames go out in one place and suddenly appear in another, giving the illusion of motion. The colors are sometimes yellow, sometimes red and bluegreen."

Michigan Photo "Marsh gas," Hynek said, "usually has no smell, but sounds like the small popping explosions similar to a gas burner igniting. The gas forms from decomposition of vegetation. It seems likely that as the present spring thaws came, the gases methane, hydrogen sulfide and phosphine, resulting from decomposition of organic materials, were released."

He also said youths playing "pranks with flares" added to the excitement. He dismissed a photo taken March 17 as a time exposure of the moon and Venus.

Van Horn, a Hillsdale native who grew up on the edge of a swamp, was outraged by Hynek's findings, asserting that he knew more about swamp gas than Hynek did. He said Hynek ignored his reports that the lights moved and that there was a convex surface between the lights.

A fake photo was taken by Air Force investigator Maj. Raymond Nyls in March 1967 in an attempt to duplicate a photo taken by brothers Grant and Dan Jaroslaw of Harrison Twp. The UFO is actually a block of wood hanging by a string from a children's swing set.

Van Horn, a pilot with a commercial rating, objected to the treatment of what came to be known as "the Michigan affair" by the Air Force, charging that "a lot of good people are being ridiculed."

Hynek replied that he still believed that marsh gas was the logical explanation for these sightings.

Sightings of UFOs in the area continued, but these apparent copycat incidents seemed obviously fake. A Grand Haven man who reported a UFO landing near his home was not believed. Eastern Michigan University Police Chief John E. Hayes examines a Yipsilanti UFO that turned out to be a dry cleaning bag with a plastic cross on the open bottom holding several small candles.

On March 29 more sightings were reported over Michigan. Some from Macomb and Oakland counties, others from Bad Axe, Flint and Ann Arbor. Viewers included Richard Sober of Ann Arbor, an off-duty sheriff's deputy, and Police Chief Ford Wallace of Linden.

In Washington the government was urged to release all information on the sightings.

In April Frankfort and Marquette joined in with sightings. The Frankfort sighting was identified as a marine flare.

The next year brothers Grant and Dan Jaroslaw of Harrison Twp, took photos of objects they claimed were flying over Lake St. Clair. A lie detector test failed to back up their story.

Hynek returned to Hillsdale but stuck to his original swamp gas declaration.

There were a few more sightings in 1967 in Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Ypsilanti and Grand Haven. In February four Ann Arbor residents reported objects flying in formation. And in Grand Haven police confirmed the sightings.

Not much came of all the commotion. However the popularity of reporting unusual stuff in the sky to officials kept Selfridge Air Force base busy. By 1968, they were receiving two or three reports of UFO sightings per week.

Related Articles on the UFO Casebook:

The 1966 Michigan UFO Case

The 1966 Michigan UFO Case Revisited

source and references:



Archived UFO Articles and News Items

UFO Casebook Home Page