UFO Casebook headgraphic

(Go to text (non-flash) menu)

Web hosting

Ad rate graphix

Ancient Astronauts

Mystery Casebook

Casebook Forum

UFO Video

Join the UFO Casebook


UFO Casebook Magazine 488, Issue date, 12-19-11

(Comments section available at bottom of page)

Group of Oregon Campers See Disc UFO up Close
UFO Depiction
Published: 9:50 AM 12/17/2011

Oregon - October, 1960s I apologize that this is second hand, but my family member who experienced this never wished it reported. Now it can be.

I hope that it might be associated with other events in the area about that time, providing added proof that something DID occur in the area of the Malheur National Forest, NW of Burns, Oregon at that time.

The month is correct, October, but the day could have been any day during deer season. My aunt, uncle and a large group of friends were camped at Morgan Springs in the forest. It was dark and the day's hunt over.

As usual everyone was around the fire. This was rugged country. I've been to this spot in the 70's and 80's. It is very hard to find and to get there with vehicles. Theirs was the only group at that site.

Let me state that my aunt was the national chairman of a prestigious real estate concern; listed in Who's Who, very successful, logical and level-headed.

She was walking around the group with a tray of snacks. She stated that it soundlessly glided into view just above the tree tops. These would be large Ponderosa pines.

It stopped, hovering, not directly overhead but about 50 Feet away at a 45 degree angle, about 100 ft. above the ground. About half the craft was visible, saucer-shaped, she estimated it to be at least 100 ft. wide, but I don't recall how thick it was.

Everyone freaked out, women screamed, men yelled, some went for their hunting rifles. She said it was so close and so obvious what it was, that nobody said anything like "what is it?" Everyone knew.

There were "windows," for lack of a better term. I don't recall if they were visible as it came into sight or not. I think she said they appeared after it stopped to hover.

A yellow light was visible, apparently emanating from the craft's interior. She said the shapes of more than one humanoid body was visible and movement was easily discerned with the yellow back light.

No features were seen as no light was directed into the craft from the outside. She said that the movements were fluid, natural, but seemed uncharacteristic of normal human movement.

Proportions were odd as well. She said they seemed to be curious about them, moving to get defend looks into the camp sight.

At this point, only a few seconds have passed. She was a camera buff and she dropped the tray and ran to the camping vehicle to get her 35mm. She had to load it and said she may have been inside the camper for 3 minutes max.

When she emerged, camera in hand, the entire group was still and calm. The craft was gone. Some of those that hadn't left the fire area were again seated.

A couple of the group that ran were slowly walking back. Two men with hunting rifles were stone still and seemed catatonic for another couple of minutes.

She asked what happened, where the saucer went, etc.

Slowly, she started to get responses, simple ones, like "what"? Soon, they regained their wits. She was frantic, demanding answers... they all, including her husband, acted like she'd lost her mind.

They had no explanation or memory of why some were away from the fire, holding guns or unable to recall the tray of snacks being dropped by her as she ran for her camera. She was incredulous, and being a strong willed, confident woman, she demanded answers and insisted her story was true and it was THEY who were daft.

It got heated. Her husband, my uncle, finally felt embarrassed enough to demand her silence and in the coming days she agreed, at his request, to NEVER tell this story. To my knowledge, I am the only one she told.

Obviously, she believes the metal skin of the camper protected her from whatever caused the memory loss to the others. Her and my uncle are the greatest people I've ever known. I need no additional proof. I simply believe her.

Hopefully, if any other events took place in that area, this will add weight to their accounts.

The biggest hole in my story is that I am unsure of the year. She told me this story in the early 70's, and I and can't recall how many years previously the event happened. Sorry about that.

Good luck with your efforts, hope we all get concrete proof one day soon.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/oregon1960s.html

source & references:

Submitted to www.mufon.com

Edited by www.ufocasebook.com

German Court Orders Parliament to Release UFO Report
UFO Germany
Published: 5:52 PM 12/12/2011

UFO Disclosure in Germany

A German citizen has won his first battle in an effort to view a UFO report created by the Scientific Service of the German Parliament (aka Bundestag).

After attempts by the Bundestag to block the document's release, the Berlin Administrative Court has ruled that the German citizen has the right to read the document as requested.

The Bundestag is appealing the decision, sending it to the Supreme Administrative Court of Berlin-Brandenburg for a final decision. Germany has claimed that they have never officially investigated the UFO phenomenon.

However, other European nations, such as Britain and France, have not only held official investigations, they have released thousands of previously classified documents. This is what has inspired German citizen Frank Reitemeyer in his quest to seek out Germany's X-Files.

He told the Berlin court:

"I want to know facts and it bothers me that in France, England, USA, Canada, the citizens can see the UFO files, and I am not informed as a German from my German government. It is therefore such a glaring discrepancy... In France, a citizen is automatically informed by his government because the government provides the UFO files to the website of the space agency, so officially on the government side, anyone can view the documents free at home."

The document in question is titled, The search for extraterrestrial life and the implementation of UN Resolution A/33/426 on the observation of unidentified flying objects and extraterrestrial life forms.

Reitemeyer knew of its existence due to the efforts of a UFO disclosure organization called Exopolitics Germany. President of the organization, Robert Fleicher, says a draft of the document was discovered in 2009.

A freelance journalist, Lower Saxony, had contacted Fleicher asking him for some convincing evidence for UFOs that he could show a member of the Bundestag, Gitta Connemann, who he was about to interview.

Fleicher sent them Exopolitics' usual UFO briefing documents along with other files. Saxony said that Connemann was very impressed and promised to look into the issue further.

A few weeks later she forwarded the UN report to Saxony, who then sent it to Fleicher. Fleischer shared the document with the media, and excerpts were printed in the German newspaper, Welt Kompakt.

The document reviews materials that Germany had sent the UN in response to a UFO resolution passed in 1978 intended to create an "agency or a department of the United Nations for undertaking, coordinating and disseminating the results of research into unidentified flying objects and related phenomena."

The initiative was sponsored by the Prime Minister of Grenada, Sir Eric Gairy. Huffington Post reporter, Lee Speigel, aided Gairy in his effort by arranging audio visual UFO evidence for the presentation to the United Nations. Although the resolution passed, few countries chose to participate.

The document also contains information as to whether or not the German government conducted official UFO investigations during the Cold War.

Andreas Schutz of the German Center for Aeronautics and Astronautics told Weltz Online that he has never heard of the German government investigating UFOs in relation to aliens, but says it is plausible that they did take reports on unidentified aircraft during the cold war.

However, Munich physics professor Herald Lech replied: "I am convinced that German ministry officials have never dealt with UFOs."

For now the decision lies with the Supreme Administrative Court of Berlin-Brandenburg. The Bundestag claims that Germany's freedom of information laws do not pertain to their office of Scientific Service and that their copyright laws allow them to keep the documents private.

Although the Berlin Administrative Court disagreed, no one is certain whether the Supreme Administrative Court will uphold that decision. Thanks to the Huffington Post and researcher Steve Budner.

Also see The Nazi UFOs.


permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/germanyufodisclosure.html

source & references:

Submitted to www.mufon.com


Submitted to UFO Casebook

1983 - USS Tuscaloosa Encounter UFO at Sea
USS Tuscaloosa LST 1187
Published: 6:24 PM 12/14/2011

UFO Encounter: June 23, 1983

I was deployed to the western Pacific Ocean on aboard the USS Tuscaloosa LST 1187 at 1200 noon.

I just relieved the watch on the bridge of the ship, which was the JL board (tracking board) 1. It was a clear sunny day, the sea was calm. We were 300 NM (Nautical Miles) southeast of Russia's eastern navy port of Vladivostok.

In the North Sea of Japan, we were traveling in formation with the aircraft carrier USS Midway and its battle group which consisted of approximately 30 ships. At 12:10 PM, the USS Midway radioed us and other ships in the battle group that they were tracking 5 unknown objects moving in a V formation from the coast of Russia, and the USS Midway just picked them up on their air search radar.

I notified the officer of the deck that the USS Midway was tracking unknown (bogeys) flying objects. The officer of the deck instructed me to call CIC (Combat Information Center) and obtain a course speed and CPA (Close Point of Approach) of the bogeys.

So I called "CIC" to obtain the information. At 1210 PM the USS Midway radioed "CIC" with the information and the "CIC" contacted me on the JL board and stated:

"We are tracking 5 unknown objects in a V formation-on course 140 degree speed Mach 5+ and CPA is 90 miles due north of our location in one minute and the objects are traveling from west to east."

I then called the lookouts on port and starboard-forward and aft, and notified them to be on lookout for 5 bogeys and I gave them a relative bearing of 270 degrees to search the air for sightings of the unknown air objects.

At 12:11 PM, the officer of the deck called the captain of the ship by the bridge phone to have him to come to the bridge. He told the captain about the objects. The captain entered the bridge and came to the JL board and told me to update information on the unknown objects. I then called the "CIC" and told them to update the objects.

"CIC" then radioed the USS Midway.

At 12:14 PM, the USS Midway radioed "CIC" and told them the objects vanished from radar near the islands of Japan approximately 30 seconds ago.

"CIC" contacted me; I then relayed the information to the captain and the officer of the deck.

At 12:15 PM, the ship's captain John D White II told the bridge watch to remain silent about this incident. He said this is a direct order; this incident never happened.

I have remained silent about this incident for the past 24 years. Based on analysis of this incident, many people witnessed this which involved the bridge crews on 30 ships.

However we were the closest in the battle group formation to the objects than any other ship in formation. This entire incident took only approximately 5 minutes and these objects traveled almost 1000 miles in 5 minutes.

We knew immediately they were not missiles of any sort based on their incredible speed of Mach 5 plus. (17,500 MPH plus).

The lookouts on the ship were unable to get a visual "sighting" due to the 90 mile range away from our point. The USS Midway began tracking the bogeys just south of Vladivostok, Russia, which was 300 NM (nautical miles) from our position. These objects simply vanished into thin air over Japan.

Approximately 2 days later, we tied up in YokoHama, Japan and I was watching Japanese TV. There were numerous news reports all over on every channel on TV of these "UFO" sightings.

This is not just a usual UFO story, this is a case where the military actually tracked 5 UFOs and all of the bridge crews which were in formation at the time with the USS Tuscaloosa LST 1187 were ordered to keep quiet on this unusual phenomenon.

Thanks to NICAP.org


permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/usstucaloosa1983.html

source & references:

Submitted to UFO Casebook


Women Motorists Watch Hovering UFO over North Carolina
UFO Depiction
Published: 2:39 AM 12/15/2011

North Carolina - 12-03-11

We were driving back home and it seemed as if we could not get back on the right road. Two of us women were in the front seat and one in the back seat.

We left the town we were in around 6:00 pm and from then until 7:11 pm we were driving around it seemed as if in circles or backwards.

We knew we were on the right road and then the other lady driving the car and I realized we had changed direction from where we were. We traveled and went down different roads.

We stopped 3 times for directions and each time, we could not follow the directions. The last time we were given directions to get back on our road, they said it would take us 12 miles to get there.

We were given several left and right turns to take. We were supposed to turn to the left when we left the convenience store and as soon as we turned left it seemed a matter of minutes we were right back on the right road they we had started on 1 hour and 11 minutes earlier.

We were relieved that we were on our way home. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to where we live. After riding for a few minutes the driver asked the passenger in the back if she was ok. It took her a few minutes to answer.

Finally, she said "Oh, I was just looking at the UFO and it separated. It was so pretty."

Neither one of us in the front said anything and just kept going. About 20 minutes later I looked over to my right, I was on the passenger side in the front, and there it was.

It was just hovering to my right, and then it was over the car and I could see the shape clearly with the green lights and it seemed like landing legs or tripods.

I asked the other lady if that was a plane, but knew it wasn't. All we could do was just look in awe. It seemed as if we could not move but just look.

The lady in the back heard us talking and moved forward and saw the object also. She is usually very vocal, but was almost serene now.

Slowly the object moved over the trees to the left and now that I think about it, it was giving off light as it ascended towards the sky and I could see it so clearly when it turned back towards the road and thought it was coming back.

Seemed like a flash it was down the road in front of us again, and then the lady in the back and I saw it go back over to the right of us and then it just hovered.

We could see the lights through the trees and that is the last we saw of it.

After so long we were still discussing it and trying to figure out all the events of the night. Then we realized that we had heard no sound, not even the sounds of the car.

How did this object keep level with us hovering, and we were probably traveling 45 to 55 mph. It was like we were in a trance.

Now, I think why didn't I take a picture? but it was like we were dazed.

The longer it goes on I have certain things that come to my mind. I know will never have an answer, but would like to know why this object approached us and why no sounds.

We didn't even pass any other vehicles on the road during this time. I know there is more to write but at the moment this is as clear as I can put down.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/nc120311motorists.html

source & references:

Submitted to www.mufon.com

California Motorist Reports Sighting of Large Triangle UFO
UFO Depiction
Published: 12:35 PM 12/12/2011

California - 12-08-11

I am a 23-year-old student. I was driving at 12:15 AM, when I saw something that can't be explained. I was approaching a red light preparing to make a left at a four way intersection.

As I stopped three large, yellow lights appeared in what was, only a second ago, a dark winter night sky.

These lights were the same size, and were side by side in a horizontal line. There were no lights that would give away the location of an aircraft nearby, like blinking lights on a helicopter.

These three lights literally appeared out of nowhere, they were only a few hundred feet in front of me and were no more than 200 feet in the sky.

When the lights illuminated, it was clear they were a part of a larger "craft." The craft itself was triangular in shape. I couldn't make out any significant detail on the craft, but its shape and size were unmistakable.

The three lights were at least 80-100 feet in length from one end to the other, and about 40 feet from top to bottom.

The lights were a brilliant white/yellow color. They did not blink, pulsate, or illuminate the surrounding area, rather just illuminated and stayed solid.

The lights were facing me directly, as if I was looking at the rear of the "craft." Once the lights illuminated, they paused for one second without moving the slightest bit, and then the "craft" shot off in an eastward trajectory at a 30-45 degree angle into the night sky.

I was listening to my car radio at the time with my windows up so I couldn't detect any sound, but something accelerating at that speed so close to the ground must have made some kind of noise, I would assume.

This event happened very close to multiple residences and if it was a jet or something of that nature then it would've made an ear-piercing sound. The craft accelerated at an impossible speed traveling miles in only a few seconds.

It left a yellow trail from each side that dissipated as the "craft" moved, then simply disappeared.

The entire event, from when the lights first illuminated until it disappeared lasted about 5 seconds, but it felt as if time stood still. Whatever this was, it was flying low to the ground in a highly populated area at night.

The acceleration of this object from a standstill was jaw dropping; it went from a few hundred feet from my car to miles away in seconds and then was just gone.

The immense size and speed of it, and it being so close to the ground was frightening to say the least. I can't help but feel like I saw something I wasn't supposed to, and it can't be explained. Upon further investigation on my part, there is a hill only about 300 feet away from the stoplight and there are power lines that run along it.

The lights appeared in between me and the hill, and disappeared over the hill and out of sight. I contacted the local air traffic control and was transferred to a man who had authority there.

He did not dismiss my report or call me crazy, but instead listened to what I had to report. He told me that it didn't fit the description of anything they know of, and also assured me that nothing abnormal was picked up on the radar.

He said there was a good chance that what I saw would go unanswered, and assured me that neither I nor the local residents had anything to worry about.

While I can't know how many phone calls they receive of this nature, the man certainly didn't dismiss my claims and seemed honest and genuine with his answers. If this was military in nature, then I must say I would feel a huge relief.

Knowing that our military possess technology like this would make me feel more safe and secure, and if they did, keeping it a secret is completely understood.

If this is not military in nature than I will continue to feel unsure of my safety. I have absolute confidence in our military, and hope, for all of our sakes, that what I saw is of military origin.

If it is not then many things I once considered debatable are now unmistakable. When an event of this magnitude happens right in front of you it's impossible to avoid or dismiss it.

What I saw was 100% real and not a single bit of information I provided is false.

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/californiatri120811.html

source & references:

Submitted to www.mufon.com

Archived Case of the Week

1968 - The Tote Road, Maine Sightings
UFO Depiction
Published: 1:22 AM 1/6/2011

Waldo, Maine - 1968

This is a recount, to the best of my recollection, of events that occurred from October to December, 1968. I swear that the following is true and actually happened.

All of these sightings occurred at a place locally called “The Tote Road.” This was a wood road near Toad’s End on the east side of the Passagassawaukeag (Passy) River, and it ended on a high point of land.

This provided a view of a long field through which high-tension power lines ran. The lines are in a generally east-west direction.

The Tote Road was a place where young people hung out at night, out-of-the way, and a pleasant location to sit and listen to the radio and watch the stars.

I was one of those young people and spent many pleasant hours up on the Tote Road, often with dates and sometimes, just with my buddies.

Sometime in mid-October, we had our first unusual experience.

While sitting in my 1967 Ford, we noticed a lighted object coming along approximately 100 feet above the power line. The object came from the east and when a few hundred yards away from us, it halted, still above the power lines.

We heard no sound and were fascinated by the sight.

While we watched, we saw the object spin about. It was of a basic, elliptical shape. It was lit with red and green lights and appeared to have windows.

As it spun as if on an axis, we noted that small, lighted objects dropped from the object and drifted downward, toward the power lines. We could not discern the nature of the small objects, but they left a kind of light trail, or lighted thread as they descended.

I don’t recall seeing the small objects return to the larger, hovering object. After what might have been an hour, the large object sped off toward the west.

We were sort of shaken by the thing and left soon after the object left. But a couple nights later, we determined to return.

This became a regular habit, and we went almost every night. About half the time, we were rewarded by seeing similar objects acting in much the same way as during our initial sighting.

In fact, seeing these things became routine and we became desensitized to it. In time, we began to bring others with us to see the objects.

On some nights, we would see multiple objects. These each and every one, followed the power lines. Never, did one deviate from this pattern.

Then one night, after watching a (by this time) standard-sized object, we were amazed when another appeared above it.

The new object was giant and dwarfed the other. This was so big that it was plain to see portals, or windows, as it slowly rotated.

This rotating deserves some explaining. It didn’t appear as if the entire object rotated, just the windows. These flashed red and blue light, blinking as they went around the diameter of the object.

The craft was neither saucer-shaped or cigar-shaped, but somewhere in between, something like a elongated saucer.

We strained to see inside the windows but were unable to discern anything in any detail. We did see objects inside, but could not tell what they were.

The large object dropped multiple, small objects which descended in threadlike light trails. This scared us a bit, but we remained, watching. Eventually, the large object, the small object and the multiple small objects sped off and we left soon afterward.

This continued more or less the same through October, November, and into early December.

Then one night, Steve Woodrow and I each had dates. We went to the Tote Road to park with our girlfriends. We had some beer, which was on the back seat with Steve and his girl.

Soon, before it was even dark, an object came down the power line and this one was another very large one.

It hovered, performing the same actions as the previous one. We decided to leave the car and walk down toward the object.

Before leaving, we made sure to put our beer on the floor in back and I took off my coat (it had turned warm that night… some kind of front, apparently, had come in) and covered it, so anyone walking up to the car would not see it.

We walked down toward the object and the girls became frightened and refused to go any further. This was, as I later learned, probably good advice. So we stood there, watching this large object hover over the power lines.

UFO Depiction It was huge and the girls were speechless. This was the closest any of us had ever been to one of these.

Eventually, the girls convinced us to return to the car and they and Steve left. But I decided to walk just a little closer. I was able to make out movement inside the craft, although again, the forms were vague and indistinct.

I suddenly felt a chill and became very frightened. So I turned and ran back to the car where the others waited.

Back at the car, we watched the object take off. We left the place and took the girls home. This was on a Saturday night. The next morning, I got up and it had turned cold again.

So I went out to the car to get my coat. But it was gone. I thought that perhaps Steve or his girl had inadvertently kicked it under the seat with their feet, so I stooped down and reached under.

And I felt the arm of the coat and pulled it out. But that’s all there was to it, just the arm. This was a sheepskin-lined, corduroy coat, something like “The Marlboro Man” wore.

And someone had pulled the arm off it… think it was the left arm. Little threads stuck out at different angles, which made me think that whoever did this was very strong.

They had to have simply snapped the arm off. So I called Steve and told him off. We had an argument over the phone and I refused to believe that he wasn’t responsible for destroying my coat.

I took the sleeve and kept it in the car, to shove it in Steve’s face when I saw him. He continued to deny any knowledge of it.

After that, nobody wanted to go back up to the Tote Road. So I went by myself.

It was a good place to think, when the objects weren’t around. I went for three nights straight after the coat incident. That third night that I went there, it had snowed, a little less than an inch.

I pulled in and sat there, listening to the radio (I remember hearing the Beatles) and keeping warm with the heater running. No objects appeared.

I hadn’t seen one since the night with the girls. I went home.

I returned the following evening and pulling in, saw that nobody else had been there, the only tire tracks were my own, from the night before.

And there in the snow on one of my tire tracks was a dark form. I studied it briefly and tried to figure out how it got there. There were no footprints or tire tracks.

It was as if the thing had been dropped from the sky.

I got out of my car and walked to the thing and saw that it was what was left of my coat. I picked it up and got back in my car. I was practically paralyzed with fear.

I backed around and left as fast as I could. I have not been back to that place since, although I live only a few miles away.

I took my coat, minus the sleeve, home and showed it to my grandparents, whom I lived with. I had told them about the flying objects.

I had mentioned them before, but not in any detail. Grandpa was nonchalant about it. I don’t think he believed me.

Grandma was a righteous woman and had continually warned me that I should stop going out to that place at night… she thought the objects had to do with the devil. I discounted her thoughts.

Since my coat was ruined, Grandpa took it and went downstairs, to the drive-in basement. There, he kept his beagle hound, “Mickey.” Grandpa took my coat and placed it where Mickey slept, as an extra blanket for him.

Mickey backed away from it and growled, low and deep. His hair bristled, I remember.

Mickey was always gentle and had never before growled at anyone. Grandpa took the coat and burned it.

That is the essence of what happened. I might add that during the time we were visiting the Tote Road, Steve set up a 35mm camera on a tripod and took pictures.

He left the lens open because it was night and all he got were some time-lapse photos, with no definition.

Also, Steve contacted a man who was a UFO expert… he visited with us and took our statements. I don’t remember his name.

I think he was connected with the newly-formed Unity College. Steve may, however. It has been a long time, though.

Shortly after all this, Steve was drafted into the United States Marines and was soon deployed overseas. Steve now lives in either Washington State or Oregon… I think Washington.

Steve visited his family here in Maine several years ago. He says he does not remember ever going to the Tote Road or seeing any UFOs back in 1968 or any other time.

I live in Waldo, only about three miles in a direct line from the Tote Road and very near the same high-tension power lines where the UFOs traveled. My grandparents are both dead, long ago.

That is all I have to report about this. This is my true statement and I testify upon my oath of honor that the above-described events are true.

Forty-two years have passed and the memory of this incident haunts me.

Perhaps some day I shall undergo hypnotic regression and record the session. Maybe that would disclose further details.

Tom S., January 5, 2011

permanent link: http://www.ufocasebook.com/2011/1968toteroadsightings.html

UFO Casebook Home Page