The Journal of Hispanic ufology-January 18, 2006
** Alleged evidence presented is a prank confected by minors**
by Daniel Barquet - Mérida
They mocked Jaime Maussan in Mérida, Yucatan, and alleged aliens disclosed it was all a prank.
Last week, the ufologist presented evidence of alien life in Mérida, which circulated over the Internet and show an alleged alien concealed behind a light post.
Authors of the "jape" disclosed that they did it merely to "to mock" Maussan and try to "get some dough" out of him. The prank, which "even passed the analysis with special equipment", was made with a mask that one of the participants purchased during last year's carnival in Yucatan's capital city. The alien evidence was broadcast by Televisa during the last episode of the Otro Rollo program, hosted by Adal Ramones.
After the end of this program, the prank made with a supermarket mask became, for some ufologists "further proof" that aliens are on Earth and that one of them appeared in Fraccionamiento del Parque in eastern Merida.
The recording, presented by Maussan as a world exclusive, is of poor quality and was made with cell phone. The pranksters claim that they made it "in order to make a good amount of money from the sale of that material", but are now afraid and undecided about disclosing the truth or maintaining the hoax.
"The events are fake. There is no such alien," said Sergio Valdez Diaz, member of the Centro de Investigacion de Fenomenos Paranormales, a group dedicated to studying such events.
Two re-enactments have already been made in Merida using camcorders and cell phones similar to the one employed in making the recording, yielding elements that dismiss [its credibility].
"We engaged in this event shortly after the events, before Maussan came to listen to their story. It's not true that alien vanished behind the lightpost, since it is large enough for a young man to conceal himself. The alleged entity's long arm, which touches the young man, is a visual effect. It was said that contact took place when the boy went to fetch the ball, but the ball was on the left and the post was on the right," stated Valdez Diaz, who met with the authors of the prank, all minors.
Accordng to Valdez Diaz, "all of the youths involved were aware of the deception but decided to maintain it, partly because they hoped to obtain money through their hoax."
"Now this teenager is frightened by the scope of the events and by the visits from people wanting to interview him. He no longer wants to speak with anyone. His companions did not tell the truth because, as they said, they hoped that Maussan would pay them a good amount of money for the recording and could "have a good laugh" at his expense," he concluded.
FOR MORE INFORMATON: Milenio (Mexico DF) - http://www.milenio.com/
(Translation (c) 2006. Scott Corrales, Institute of Hispanic Ufology (IHU). Special thanks to Christian Quintero, Planeta UFO)
source and references:
DATE: January 17, 2006
DATE: January 17, 2006
The Journal of Hispanic Ufology-January 18, 2006
Jose Alonso Herrera denies that he and his friend asked for money and accuse Carlos Trejo of slandering them.
According to a written instrument sent to MILENIO by Jaime Maussan, radioactivity was found at the site where three youths recorded a seemingly non-human being on March 20, 2005 using a cell phone.
The text says that astronomer and physicist Jorge Guerrero stated that the discovery was astounding and inexplicable, since there is no reason to justify the existence of radiation in Fraccionamiento del parque. Measurements taken with specialized equipment detected the presence of radiation not deemed hazardous, but merely as "dark matter".
"I wonder it was me who was hoodwinked or you, dear friends of Milenio."
The text goes on: present at the site where the youths who participated in the video's recording, Jose Alonso Herrera and David Espada.
Maussan points out that great expectations have emerged around the so-called Merida Alien. However, this has allowed some like Jorge Moreno or Sergio Valdez Diaz of "Misterios de Merida" magazine to slam the researchers. "According to Moreno and Valdez, the video is only a prank by a young man who donned a carnival mask, which they state was admitted by not one buy all of the youth's participating in the event."
Maussan says that Valdez Diaz told Daniel Barquet, a reporter for MILENIO, that the youths had mocked Maussan because they wanted to "get some dough" out of him and also because they wanted to pull the wool over his eyes. In stating this fact, notes the journalist, neither Barquet nor Valdez exhibit a single shred of proof or authoritative evidence.
He goes on: Herrera and Espada state that Valdez Diaz's declarations are false, and accuse Moreno of having offered money to minors to admit their part in the prank.
"The video reached me accidentally, after having circulated for months among teenage cell phones. I was never asked for money, and I have never offered it."
Maussan says that the video has been analyzed by experts and that it has been established without a doubt that no animation is involved, although they admit that it could be something else, either a prank or a legitimate video.
In the early hours of March 20, two young men from Yucatan, Jose Alonso Herrera and David Espadas, filmed strange figures using a cell phone, a recording they later disseminated through e-mail. They were then contacted by ufologist Jaime Maussan, who asked them for the film, to which they agreed, as he promised to investigate it. However, a man named Carlos Trejo came to Merida a few days ago with the intention of discrediting Maussan and the video fans.
The story given by Alonso Herrera, 17, is that he and his friends make daily recordings in different places, as would any young men with a cell phone. "We shot several videos that day and nothing had happened," said Herrera, who said over the phone: "Then suddenly this happened." In other words, the controversial images of alleged aliens -- as published by reporter Daniel Barquet in MILENIO yesterday -- hidden behind a street lamp.
-- Then it's not true that the images are fake, or that you were playing a prank, or that you asked for money?
No, not at all. on the contrary. We resorted to Maussan because we lack the mans, but Carlos Trejo is putting us in a bad light. All of this is due to a problem between Trejo and Maussan.
The story of the alleged aliens also came from a local paper, according to Herrera, the author of the recording, who is uncomfortable with the stories that are circulating. "They only publish accusations and that seems unfair to me," he insists. At no time are they referred to by name, but he and his friend feel attacked, "because they say that we had a mask and we hid behind a street lamp."
Herrera says that at no time did they ask for money in exchange for the images. "The papers said that our sister had a mask and who knows what else. But haven't made any statements. The problem is that the papers here made them up on their own."
-- How did the video come [into Maussan's possession]?
We showed them to people here, and suddenly it was going from one cell phone to the next until a a chain was formed. And they day that Maussan came to make his presentation here, I have no idea who told him about the video. He came to see us and we told him about it.
The Merida International Airport control tower received at least 75 UFO reports last year. Jorge Moreno Gonzalez, director of the Centro de Investigación de Fenómenos Paranormales, said that tower personnel received at least 75 UFO reports over the last 12 months, but most of them were dismissed due to a lack of evidence or by being notoriously fake. Only 8 are still under investigation. Regarding the Fraccionamiento del Parque case, in which a group of teenagers admitted to creating a prank about an alleged alien in order to be able to mock Jaime Maussan and other researchers, Jorge Moreno Gonzalez, one of the best-known ufologists in the Yucatan, stated that he also received the alleged evidence and that his team of researchers looked into the case, but the result was the same as others: "The teenager who used the mask to play a prank on his friend no longer wants to discuss the subject. He's scared, as are his parents."
Newsroom / Humberto Rios, Mexico City. Daniel Barquet, Merida.
(Translation (c) 2006, Scott Corrales, IHU)
source and references:
UFO Casebook Home Page