Pascagoula, Mississippi Abduction Eye Witness

From: Kenny Young

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:55:31 -0400

Fwd Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 07:19:11 -0500

Subject: Interview With Mike Cataldo, New Pascagoula UFO 1973 Witness

On October 21, 2001, Natalie Chambers of the Associated Press  
reported that a new witness to a legendary 1973 UFO incident has  
recently surfaced. Chambers identified this individual as Mike  
Cataldo, a retired Navy chief petty officer.  

I was interested in more general details of this account, and  
specifically the reference to "a report" Cataldo made with a  
supervisor. This morning I conducted a YAHOO PEOPLE SEARCH 
for the name Mike Cataldo and found his telephone number listed for  
his residence at Marker Rd. in Rotonda West, FL.  

Cataldo came to the phone and was surprised at my call, stating  
that I was the first person to ever contact him about this UFO  
sighting from 1973. He explained that he had been in touch with  
Associated Press reporter Natalie Chambers, but only after  
calling a Pascagoula, Mississippi newspaper a month ago. 

When calling the newspaper, he asked to talk with an old-timer  
employee at the paper, someone that might remember the  
Hickson/Parker abduction. Cataldo said that when he talked with  
Natalie Chambers, she made reference to the book entitled 'UFO  
in Pascagoula.' Being unaware of this book, Cataldo was shocked,  
saying "you gotta be kidding me!" to the reporter.  

He went on to excitedly relate the story as it happened back in  

"The story is very true," he assured while recounting the event.  
"We (Cataldo, Ted Peralta and Mack Hanna) left the shipyard and  
rode in Ted's Volkswagen to Hwy. 90, traveling west towards  
Buloxi, Mississippi. It was not even dusk yet, there was still  
some daylight to see by.  

"When we first saw this thing through the windshield we thought  
it was a shooting star, going from right to left, but then it  
came down into a marshy, tree-lined area and hovered there for  
about 30-seconds. It was spinning and had blinking lights on the  
top of it all around its edge, all the way around it in a  
circle. These were blinking lights arranged on it just like you  
would tape lights to the side of a cake pan."  

Cataldo affirmed that there was a definite structure to be seen,  
not just blinking lights.  

"This thing was like a whitish-gray colored sailor hat, or a 
tambourine, and it was less than half a mile away and looked as  
big as any big American airliner I've ever seen. And then it  
just shot away, almost like it was just suddenly gone."  

Cataldo said that shortly after the sighting he parted company  
with Ted Peralta and Mack Hanna and changed cars. Then while  
enroute to Ocean Springs as darkness was setting in, he saw the  
same object a second time at about the same distance away,  
watching it for another 45 seconds to one minute before it again  
shot off in the same manner as before.  

Mike Cataldo said that there were other motorists in the area  
during each episode and that some of them had slowed down to look  
at the ufo.  

"We were the only ones on the road to stop and look at it  
though," he said.  

During this time, Cataldo said he never knew anything about the  
Hickson/Parker claim. He went home, telling his wife about it.  
Cataldo humorously recalled how his wife said he was  
hyperventilating with excitement. He went on to liken the anxiety  
and strangeness of the situation to a large snake sighting he had  
years earlier in 1963, "Some things you see in your lifetime that  
you just don't ever forget," he said.  

The next day he returned to the site with Ted and Mack and they  
parked their car at the shipyard area, talking about the  
sighting from the previous day. They discussed what should be  
done about it and if they should report what they saw.  

Cataldo said that he felt the sighting should be reported and he  
approached a man by the name of Nick, his division officer. He  
then approached the executive commander, Lt. Commander 
Heath and issued him a verbal report on the sighting. He said 
that to his knowledge, Heath did not prepare a written report 
concerning  what was told to him.  

"Not one of them took me seriously," he complained, "and I never  
heard another thing about it. Nobody ever asked about it again.  

"I never knew of the Hickson/Parker abduction until days later.  
It happened on Thursday and it was not until the following  
Sunday that I saw the headline in the morning paper about two  
men taken aboard a Flying Saucer, I'm telling you I about died."  

The next morning, Oct. 15, Cataldo said that he talked the  
situation over with his wife and again decided that it would be  
important to report the UFO sighting. At that time he placed a  
phone call to a an assistant public relations officer Keesler  
AFB. The female taking his call took the information, but  
Cataldo said that once again nothing resulted from his  

"I have never talked to the fella involved, Charles Hickson, and  
I've never discussed this case or met with them at all, I never  
knew them and I never saw anything and had no involvement with  
what they said," Cataldo assured, "and I've never seen a UFO  
since then, not at all. Not even before then. Was it real?
You're damn right it was real. I can't say anything about they  
did or were involved in. I don't even know if what I saw matches  
what they saw, but I know what I saw and where I was at. But  
where we saw the thing going across the sky through our  
windshield is basically the area where Hickson and Parker said  
they were taken aboard. The time frame of our sighting might  
have been around 6:00, but I can't recall for certain."  

Cataldo said that two weeks after the sighting he left for  
California on temporary duty. While there, he saw Hickson on the  
Dick Cavette television show.  

"I just couldn't believe it, here I was seeing this guy," he  

Mike Cataldo explained that he has not seen Ted Peralta for 21  
years, but thinks he could possibly be in the San Diego,  
California area. Likewise he has not seen Mack Hanna for about  
23 or more years and suspects that he could also be located in  
either Kentucky or Logan, West Virginia. In the intervening  
years, Cataldo said that he has frequently told told his family  
(wife, 2 sons and relatives) about the sighting.  

Cataldo said that aside from this present call, he has not been  
contacted by anyone regarding this except for his discussion  
with reporter Natalie Chambers. He said that he has not seen the  
newspaper article and would like to read it. He also said that  
he received a message from a friend telling him that Paul Harvey  
mentioned the story on his radio program yesterday, and wishes  
he could have heard it.  

I thanked Mike Cataldo for talking with me and told him that I  
would be happy to E-mail him the text of the newspaper article  
by Chambers. Although it is a disappointment to know that his  
claims were probably not documented in a written report by his  
supervisor, further interviews with Hanna and Peralta would  
still be valuable to provide some verification of this alleged  

A YAHOO PEOPLE SEARCH was conducted for their 
names in the specified locations resulting in many returns and 
as of this writing some of the names have already been 
contacted but thus  far with no success in finding the right 
October 27, 2001  
Kenny Young


UFO Casebook Home Page