In the News

Herb Schirmer Abduction

The 1967 abduction of Patrolman Herb Schirmer

Ashland, Nebraska

December 3, 1967

2:00 a.m.

Police Patrolman Herbert Schirmer, age 22, was making his rounds. He checked the Ashland Sales Barn, where he found the cattle in an agitated state. He could also hear dogs howling when he got out of his car. Please continue reading below...

Finding nothing, he continued his rounds, checking a couple of gas stations along Highway 6.

2:30 a.m.

As Patrolman Schirmer pased through the intersection of Highway 6 with Highway 63 on the outskirts of Ashland, he saw what appeared to be red lights on a large truck stopped a short way down Highway 63. He decided to turn around and check it out. He drove the short distance down 63 and stopped with his headlights shining on the object.

According to Schirmer, the object was definitely not a truck. The red lights that he had seen were blinking through the oval portholes of a metallic, oval-shaped object that was hovering at a height of six to eight feet above the road surface. The object appeared to have a polish aluminum surface and had a sort of catwalk aound it. It had some sort of tripod leg-like structure underneath.

As he watched, the object rose into the air with a sort of siren-like sound and flames coming from underneath it. It passed almost directly over Schirmer's patrol car, then quickly shot out of sight. Schirmer returned to the police station, noting that it was now 3:00 a.m., which surprised him because he felt that only ten minutes had passed. At the station, he made this entry into his logbook: "Saw a flying saucer at the junction of highways 6 and 63. Believe it or not!"

Afterward, Schirmer developed a red welt on his neck, a headache, and he began to feel ill. Word of Schirmer's sighting got to the Condon Commission at the University of Colorado, which was in the process of investigating all available UFO data. Schirmer was asked to come to Boulder, Colorado, which he did. At Boulder, on February 13, 1968, he was hypnotized by psychologist Dr. Leo Sprinkle of the University of Wyoming.

What Hypnosis Revealed

Under hypnosis, Schirmer recalled that, after he stopped his car near the object, the engine died and his radio went silent. A burred white object came out of the craft and seemed to communicate mentally with him, preventing him from drawing his gun as he intended. After the hypnotic session had ended, Schirmer was able to recall even more details about the encounter. The beings were friendly, they drew energy from electrical power lines, and they had a base on Venus.

The Condon Committee concluded that: "Evaluation of psychological assessment tests, the lack of any evidence, and interviews with the patrolman, left project staff with no confidence that the trooper's reported UFO experience was physically real."

Psychologist Dr. Sprinkle, however, felt that Schirmer "believed in the reality of the events he described."

Returning to Ashland, Schirmer was appointed Ashland's Police Chief when Chief Wlaskin resigned. However, he resigned after two months, unable to concentrate on the job due to his UFO experience. According to Schirmer, he was burned in effigy by some of the townspeople, his car was dynamited, and his wife left him.

Sprinkle's hypnotic sessions with Schirmer barely scratched the surface. Further regression hypnosis sessions were conducted on June 8, 1968 by hypnotist Loring G. Williams and the results of those sessions were reported in two books: "Gods, Demons, and Space Chariots" and "Gods and Devils from Outer Space" by Eric Norman.

One odd fact that was brought out was that the aliens wore uniforms with an emblem of a winged serpent on the left breast, similar to the winged serpents that have appeared in mythology around the world.

Return to: In The News Index